Ch.9: Disappear Without A Trace

Axura's POV

I'm finally retrieving all of my memories, now, since after the Griever attack on the Glade, that devastated everyone. I was really close friends with everyone, and now to see so many people taken away, feels like my heart broke so many times. But I have to be strong, for everyone's sake.

I walk into my shared room and see Minho napping. His sleeping face is peaceful, unlike his sassy self when he's awake. I walk up to him and kiss his cheek before starting up the shower. After I dry myself and change into some fresh clothes, I walk out to see Minho is stirring in his sleep.

I sit next to him on his hammock and start poking his cheek.

'Minho.' I whisper.

'Minho, Minnie. Mean-Hoe...' I trail off.

'Hm..?'

'It's only lunch time, wake up.'

'Why...?'

'Unless you wanna starve.'

'What are we having for lunch, then?'

'Lemme go ask Frypan.' I run downstairs and see Frypan whipping something up since the Grievers wiped out most of the crops.

'Hey, Fry. Watcha cookin'?' I lean over the counter to see Frypan concentrating hard. He finally snaps out of his thoughts.

'Oh, hey. Just cooking some simple sandwiches. Ham and lettuce.'

'Sweet.' I run back up to our shared room to see Minho napping again.

'Seriously? I just went for 5 minutes...' I lie down on my bed and feel myself drifting off when...

'Hey, Ax?'

'Jesus, Lord, don't do that.' I jolt awake and jump up.

'Sorry. But I have something to ask you.'

'Hm?'

'E-Ever since that kiss when the Griever attack happened... Um... I've been wanting to ask you something.' He scratches the back of his neck. I lay flat on my stomach and study his face. Concern and worry wash over his face, with a hint of love in his eyes.

'W-Will you be my girlfriend?' He says- no, almost shouts out. I look at him star-struck.

'Y-Yes!' I launch myself off the bed and ran up to hug him. He embraces me in his arms and we stay like that for God knows how long. Thomas runs up to our room and sees us hugging.

'Oh, uh... Just wanted to tell you guys that... Um... Lunch is ready... I'm just... Gonna go now...' He awkwardly shuffles back out and closes the door gently behind him. We pull apart and he leans in to kiss me. I put my index finger in front of his lips and gently but quickly slides out under his arms.

'H-Hey!' He yells out.

'You're such a tease, Ax!' I just smile back at him and run down to lunch. I bump into something... Hard and starts stumbling backward. Before I hit the ground, an arm grips me. I look up to see it was Minho.

'Oh, hey babe.' I smile cheerfully at him.

'We're doing this now?'

'Yup.' We eat our lunch with Thomas, Newt, Chuck and Gally, who looks like a Griever caught his tongue.

'What's wrong, Gall?' I asked the blonde-haired boy.

'Nothing.' I raise an eyebrow at him.

'You sure?'

'Yup, I'm just fine...'

'Alright. Tell me whenever you feel like it.' Not much gleeful chatter spreads around the whole room, as many Gladers were lost. I finish my lunch first out of everyone, as they were just chatting quietly amongst themselves.

I walk up to my shared room and lay on my bed. The surprisingly comfortable hammock carefully rocks beneath my prone body. My head starts to hurt and I clutch at it. Some memories flow through me and I start to remember why they called me a psychopathic killer. If triggered correctly, I could lash out at anyone, friend or foe and I could kill them.

I also suffered from mental... Issues because I had to murder my whole family as they turned into... Unspeakable things. WICKED informed me of these 'monsters' and they called them Cranks.

Suddenly, a voice rings out through the memories.

You must go into the Maze, in order to keep everyone safe. If you don't, consequences will happen.

--

It's been about a week ever since I've had those memories and I keep on hearing the voice in my mind. So far, it's been getting worse, with the voices sometimes even multiplying and echoing in the back of my brain. One day, I eventually had enough.

Before the doors closed, I snuck away from my shared room and entered the Maze. The rough, stone doors closed behind me and I could hear Minho panicking from here. I hear stuff from him like, 'Where's Ax?! Have you seen her?'

Maybe someone spotted me going into the Maze, but they would've told Minho, right?

I decide to run and follow my memories. 

-

Minho's POV

OK, officially panicking. Where's Ax? She didn't come to bed and I wanted to share a bed with her tonight.

'Newt, have you seen Ax?' I ask him before the Doors start closing.

'No, why?'

'I think she's done something stupid... I think she ran into the Maze.'

'What?! But the Doors are gonna close soon!'

'Exactly! I can't leave her there, again!'

'Again? You didn't leave her there last time! She went in on her own accord!'

'What if she was forced to go in?'

'Maybe? But how?'

'I don't know!'

'Maybe we should wait for the Doors to open. She could come back.'

'Mm.' I nod my head in disbelief and I run towards the closed Maze doors. I lean against it and slide down. Running my fingers through my hair, I imagine Ax is right beside me, cuddling up against me. I sigh, again and I sleep there.

The next morning, when the Doors open, Ax isn't there. I waited for another hour, in case she was late. She never came back...

--

It's been a couple of weeks since Ax has gone. I've been in pieces recently and even Newt, Thomas and Gally tried to force me out of bed by dragging me. But I was too stubborn, so I lay there.

'Minho. Come on! You gotta go out, sometime!'

'Mm, sometime. Not today or tomorrow.'

'You said that yesterday, and last week.'

'Shut up, Thomas. You didn't lose your girlfriend, did you?'

'Whoa, Ax is your girlfriend?'

'Yeah.' I turn my head to face Thomas.

'Huh, never knew.' He walks out of the room and shuts the door. I hear him talking with Newt outside and I bury my face in the pillow.

'Please, come back, Ax... I miss you...'

-----

In Wonderland

Mad Hatter