Ch. 7: New Greenie

Axura's POV

I follow the same schedule every single day. It feels non-stop. A day turned into a week and a week turned into a month. Which meant that a new Greenie was gonna be arriving soon. Since the incident, and also for personal reasons, Minho wanted me to be his running partner. We injected Alby with the Serum and as it was just Ben's incident all over again. More screams each and every night, with Alby thrashing around and looking like a lone wolf being hungry. And his food was Thomas.

We run for approximately 3 hours and we haven't spotted a Griever yet. 'Hey, that's kinda weird.'

'What's weird?'

'We haven't spotted a Griever yet.' I reply back.

'Hm... You're right. Maybe they're just too lazy after they got their asses handed to them.'

'Language, and what are you talking about?'

'The incident. Maybe they're too tired to move.'

'Minho, that was one week ago...'

'Huh, really?'

'Yup.'

'You wanna eat, now?'

'Maybe soon.'

'Yeah, OK.'

We run for a bit more until we're tired.

'OK, now we should eat.' I take out the sandwich Frypan packed. I take a bite out of it and my mouth finally feels refreshed with the watery lettuce sitting on top my tongue. I bite through the ham and tomato, which added extra flavour and moisture to my mouth. My mouth was parched and my tongue felt like a desert. I only savoured the flavour of one bite before a loud screech rung throughout the whole Maze. It was very close and we both knew what that was.

'Grievers...'

'There's no vine to hide in!'

'Damn it.'

A Griever appears around the corner and looks at both of us. It turns its head towards Minho then myself. Suddenly, another Griever appears out of nowhere and they both team up. One goes after me and the other goes for Minho.

'Shuck, split!' We both split off into different directions. Minho going right and myself going left. I constantly look back and forth to check for the Griever. After a few minutes of the Griever chasing me, I look back to see the Griever wasn't there. I spot a shadow above me and as fear rushes through me, I slowly tilt my head up. I see the Griever literally hanging from the Maze walls and its acidic saliva dripping down onto the floor just in front of me.

'Oh, shit...' I run through countless corridors, which feel like as if I've passed them already. The stone walls and the ivy running through just looks the same. I felt trapped, already and start panicking, whilst the Griever is still chasing me.

'Damnit, I need to lose you very soon.' I look back again once more to see the Griever getting further away from me and I am knocked off my feet. I bump into something at full force. If it was a wall, ouch, that would've hurt a lot. But I was merely dazed from the force and as I shake my head around, I see a person's arm outstretched to help me up. I accept and get a good look at the person.

'Oh, hey, Minho.'

'Hey, Ax.' We both completely ignore the fact that we bumped into each other at full force.

'Where's your Griever?' We both ask simultaneously. 

'Oh, wait, no, you go first.' Again with the unison.

'OK, you go first.' Minho speeds up.

'Well, it was there, before.'

'Huh, so was mine.' Right on time, both of our Grievers turn around the corner and spot us.