Ch.5: Trapped

Edited 5/7/16

-----

Axura's POV

I'm starting to have more nightmares as the days pass. I always wake up to Minho not being there, from being out in that god-for-saken maze. I didn't want the Gladers to be hurt anymore, so Chancellor Paige sent me in, me being the insistent and stubborn son of a bitch.

I would always follow the same schedule everyday. I would wake up to a painful headache in the morning, without Minho in the same room. I would then fix myself up in the bathroom, head down to the Medjacks hut to replace the bandages, eat breakfast, go to my job, have lunch, go work again etc.

I've already moved from being a Builder to a Track-Hoe and the job is tough. Having to stand in the sweltering sun was tiring enough for a couple of hours, but having to move a whole bunch of stuff, that's heavy in the scorching sun was enough to make me die. Luckily, about three times a week, Newt, Theresa and I would have water fights if it got too hot. 

Then, I switched to a Cook with Frypan.

'Hey, Ax, can you get me some meat from the Slicers?'

'Um... Sure? Any specifications?'

'Yeah, can you get me some pork, bacon etc.?'

'Yeah, sure.' I grab a basket from the counter and start walking towards the Slicer's hut. I can then hear a small voice in the distance.

'Say, yeah. Yeah. Let's be alone together.

We can stay young forever.

Screamin' from the top of your lungs, lungs, lungs. Say yeah! Yeah.' 

I recognise the voice as Minho's and I quietly sneak up on him. I climb a tree a couple of metres behind him and I jump from branch to branch. I hang the basket up on the end of a branch and wrap my legs around the branch. I then swing upside down so that I'm facing Minho.

'Sup?'

'OH FUCK NUGGETS!'

'Language.'

'Why would you do that?!'

'Hey, you're the one that's supposed to be in the Maze. So don't you dare blame me.' Minho huffs out and his hair goes up for a bit before it settles back down into its original position. I position myself and drop down silently. I sit cross-legged, opposite of Minho and we start talking.

'Don't you have a job to do, Ax?'

'Oh, right!' As soon as I get up, the basket falls on top of my head. I hear Minho chuckle and he removes the basket from my head with ease. He's a good couple of inches taller than me so that I'm facing his chest. He hands me the basket and as our fingers brush against each other, it was enough to send shivers down my spine. I can feel my face heat up and I start walking.

'Well, see ya around, Minho.' I wave towards him and he waves back. He turns around a couple of times until he finally settles back down into his spot.

-

I arrive at the Slicer's hut where I can smell the distinct pungent smell of meat.

Was that a moment with Minho and he did he feel it as well?

Nah, it can't be... He probably didn't feel it. I'm definitely being paranoid right now.

I enter the Slicer's hut and I see Winston chopping up a pig that's recently died.

'Oh, Jesus, Winston! Is this everyday?! This is horrible!'

'Hey, someone's gotta do it. So, Frypan asked for anything, today?' He sticks his butcher's knife down and rubs the blood from his hands onto his massively bloody apron.