Ch.8: Broken and Crashed Hearts Can Be Mended

Axura's POV

Finally, another Greenie. Now, Thomas won't be called Greenie, anymore. Well, not to Gally... So far, about two people have gotten stung by Grievers: Alby and Ben. I feel like I'm a bad luck charm or something because ever since I arrived, there's been many incidents. Apparently, in the Maze, when Minho, Thomas, Alby and I got trapped, Thomas killed a Griever. We haven't killed many Grievers because we do it in 1 week, whilst they kill us in 1 second.

Thomas squashed a Griever whilst the Walls were changing. Now, a few people, including Gally, Minho, Thomas, Newt and I are checking out the Griever's dead body, whilst also looking around in the Maze. So far, on the walls, we've seen words scattered: Float; Catch; Bleed; Stiff; Death; and Push.

We have no idea what it means but we'll figure that out later. We arrive at the squashed Griever's body and Thomas starts poking it with a stick.

'What are you doing?' Minho and Gally ask at the same time.

'Checking...' Thomas is cautious and gently nudges the Griever with the stick.

'Um... I'm pretty sure it's dead, Tommy.' Newt and I say.

'Well, Minho and Ax know how hard it is to run in this damn Maze, and they've definitely been here longer than me. And that's a pretty shucking terrifying to experience that every day from morning to evening.'

Suddenly, the Griever's Stinger starts twitching. Since I'm at the front of the group, as Thomas is poking it with a rather long stick, I start opening my arms to push them back and I start walking backwards.

'What are you doing?' Minho asks me.

'Sh, do you see that?' I whisper very clearly and point my finger at the Grievers' Stinger.

'Shuck, what's happening?' Gally seems to panic.

'I think it's still alive... Tommy? Where exactly was it when it got crushed?'

'I was standing right where we are right now and it was about to catch me but it got caught on the wall.'

'Guys, what's that?' Minho points towards a part of the Griever.

'Um... Where?'

'You see that metal thing? That.'

'Shuck, the tail is still twitching. Anyone got a knife or anything?' Minho reaches down towards his boots and pulls out a small dagger. He hands it towards me.

'Gally, do you have anything like sticky tape?'

'Yeah, I always carry it around. It's my lucky charm.' I rip off a bit of tape, borrow the long stick from Thomas and I attach the dagger on the stick. I reach the extended pole out towards the Griever and I struggle to move it around. The boys watch and stare at me as I poke it in the eye, by accident. The Griever wakes up and jerks it's head forward, and its eye comes out. It scrambles up and runs away.

'Damn, that's nasty.'

'Hey, it dropped the metal thing.' Tommy reaches for the metal thing when Newt stops his arm.

'We don't know what it could do.' Newt is concerned.

'It might be a clue to getting out.' Newt sighs and Tommy reaches out to grab it.

'Oh God.' There's slime everywhere on the thing and none of us touch it, except for Tommy.

'Why does it say 7 on it?'

'Don't know. We should probably head back to the Glade, it's getting dark.'

'Yeah, before we're locked in again.' Thomas and Minho jerk their head towards me and glares at me.