Chapter 8: Babysitter

Hokkaido, formerly Yezo, northernmost and second largest island of the Japanese archipelago, siuated between the sea of Japan (East Sea) to the west, the Sea of Okhotsk to the North, and the Pacific Ocean to the east

"Now, listen to me very carefully son." Dad made me turn towards him. "I need you to take care of your sister for me."

I rolled my eyes, remembering that we didn't actually come here for a vacation.

We were now standing inside the Hotel's lobby where we were staying, waiting for our parents to leave for an important auction leaving me and my sister. Our parents arranged a special tour around the island with the rest of the tourists who came to enjoy the ancient city. We were actually waiting for the tour guide to arrive.

"Tae Hyun-ah." This time, Mom tried to catch my attention. "Hayi's just nine years old and she needs to be looked out for. Do you understand?"

"Yes, yes. I understand." I rolled my eyes.

That's why I hate girls. They're troublesome and constantly needed to be taken care of. Since I was a small kid, girls had started to follow me around endlessly and it was getting a bit annoying to be honest. I may look like and acts like a gentleman in front of them but I don't really understand them. They scare me more than anything.

"Hayi-ah." I turned and saw my Mom kneeling in front of Lee Hi, my little sister. "I need you to behave and listen to your oppa, okay?"

Hayi nodded.

"We'll be back before you know it." Dad gave his daughter a quick peck on the forehead.

Mom and Dad went to leave. Mom looked back at us one last time, still worried for her 12-year old son and 9-year old daughter but Dad pulled her, assuring her that everything will be okay. Hayi went to stand next to me but didn't cling to me, as what a normal kid would do whenever their parents would leave them. She made sure that there's a safe distance between us; standing not too close or too far from me.

Maybe it's my fault. For a sibling, we're not that close with each other. It's not like I hate my own sister but it never occurred to me to be a doting brother towards her. I don't want to be like my friend, Gu Seung Yoon who apparently has a sister complex. I saw how So Hyunie treated her brother and I absolutely don't want that to happen to me. So I acted on my own accord. I don't want to spoil my sister more than she already is. Being born in a high class family like ours shouldn't be taken so lightly.

As the first born, I carry with me the responsibility to carry out our family legacy. So as a member of this gifted family of artists, I became obsessed and dedicated my whole life to be one. Maybe it's one of the many reasons why my sister and I grew apart from each other. I didn't have much time to spend with her.

I looked at my sister who was standing awkwardly beside me. Her head was looking down while fidgeting her dress' buttons. I saw our tour guide coming and some of the tourists began to gather around her.