Chapter V

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM
⊰ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⊱

And in the end, we were all just
humans drunk on the idea that love,
only love, could heal our brokenness.
Christopher Pointdexter

"WHO STEPPED ON your dress?" Walter asked as he rearranged the files in the archives. It was break hour at the department, well, for me anyways, and both Walter and I refused to leave the precinct, nor snack in the break room.
"Lex Luthor," I shrugged, examining my cranberry muffin. "But, who knows right? He was wearing a mask. Could've just been some random weirdo pretending to be him."
"And you guys just exchanged greetings? You didn't dance or sing or sniff his tuxedo?"
"Sniff his tuxedo?" I laughed. "I did no such thing. Besides, he was just being friendly. Striking up a conversation. It's what everyone does."
"Oh, I don't know," He opened his mouth to say something, but hesitated.
"What?" I waited for him to continue. "Do you not like him or something?"
Walter's forehead creased. "It's not that I  don't like him, per se. It's just . . . He's a little odd, don't you think? I just don't trust him as you do."
"Well, he can be a little . . eccentric," I admitted. "But not all geniuses are one dimensional snobs that only care about wealth and materialistically driven needs. There's something about him, Walter. Something strange but at the same time something painfully intriguing. I don't know what it is yet, but I gotta find out."

There was a knock on the door.

"Winslow!" Detective Mabrey boomed from outside. "Have you seen Doctor Everett?"
I gasped, quickly hiding behind one of the filing cabinets, almost knocking over a box of papers. The room already looked like an apocalypse threw up over the floor without my input. Theoretically speaking, I wasn't supposed to be in there.
"Uh ⎯ just a moment!" Walter grabbed his jacket and draped it over my head. "Miss Everett? No, I haven't seen her. She's not in the labs? That's odd. I suggest checking the ⎯"
"⎯ I checked the labs, smart ass! Do you think I'll be talking to you if I haven't?"
"Oh, how very strange," Walter continued. "I'm afraid I can't be of any more assistance to you, detective! I do hope you find her."
"Yeah, well, if you see her," Mabrey said. "Tell her some lady wants to talk to her. Says her name is Mercy Graves."

My eyes widened. Lex's assistant?

"Will do!" Walter called. "You have a good day now." Walter yanked his jacket off of my head and looked at me questioningly.
"Did he say Mercy Graves?" I asked, a little too urgently.
"According to these little things," Walter pinched his ears. "Yes. Indeed he did."
"As in Mercy Graves?"
"Yep."
"The Mercy Graves?"
"Do you happen to know any other Mercy Graves in Metropolis?"
I rolled my eyes at him. "Cute."

Due to my naturally "paranoid by default" outlook, I panicked. What could Mercy Graves possibly need to see me for? None of it made sense. Sure, I had my way with predictions and hypothetical guesses, but not even logic would reason with me. With my jacket in hand and heart in my throat, I snuck out of the archives and made my way towards the front desk. There, sat with such refined poise was none other than Mercy Graves, who had patiently awaited my arrival.
"Mr Luthor apologizes that he could not be here to ask you in person," Mercy began. "He had other matters to attend to but he hopes that you could understand."
"He's a busy man," I replied. "I understand."
"He would be glad," A small smile ghosted her lips. "Mr Luthor has instructed me to invite you to the LexCorp headquarters this afternoon. He was very vague with details, so I can't tell you much more than what I already have, but he hopes you would consider it."
"I appreciate the offer," I hesitated. "But unfortunately I am scheduled to work late today."
"About that," Mercy almost looked amused. "I was also told to inform you that a few alterations have been made to your working schedule. You needn't worry."

It was as if all the words that I had learnt in the past twenty seven years of my life had been completely erased, and I was left with nothing to say.

"I can see you're confused," Mercy took a moment to observe me. Obviously, I wasn't doing a swell job at hiding my emotions very well. "And you have every right to be. I'm sure it will all make sense to you in due time."

With that, Mercy nodded her farewell before disappearing into the bustling streets of Metropolis.

Lex Luthor, as enigmatic as he may be, was exasperatingly convincing, despite the fact that he had not been the one to deliver the request. Although I didn't know much things in life, such as the Chebotarev Density Theorem or how to diffuse a time bomb, about two things I was absolutely certain. One, I would be returning to LexCorp headquarters under his request, and two, Lex Luthor was a mystery that I refused to leave unsolved.

⊰ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⊱

:: AUTHOR'S NOTE ::
Thank you all for reading yet another chapter of this book! Your comments and votes are ever so dear to me and I can't express how grateful I am for the support.
I apologize that the story has been quite awkward and sluggish at some points. I've been awfully exhausted for the past couple of days and so I must admit the last couple of chapters haven't been the best, but no matter!
Love you all! xo