Chapter 16

I listened to Alex as he hummed to Tellan, the baby in my belly, and me. It was late one after noon, a few months after I had found out I was pregnant and I was beginning to show.

Doctor Banner estimated that I was just about three or four months along so we had a while to go.

I ran my fingers through Alex's hair, just thinking as he hummed. Sure he couldn't sing, but Tellan loved when one of us hummed to him and he said the baby would love it too.

There was a light knock on the door, and Alex lifted his head from my chest.

"I'll get it." He pressed a kiss to my lips and kissed Tellan's forehead before going to the door.

It was Natasha and Clint.

"Clint's got something to show Tellan." Natasha smiled brightly, but I could tell it was fake and just for Tellan.

"Really! What is it!" Tellan lifted his head from my hip and gently crawled over my legs before hopping down.

"Tellan? Give mommy kisses before you go." Alex told him.

"Oh. Right." He giggled and leaned over the bed. "Bye mommy."

"Bye, baby boy. Be good for Clint, okay?" I kissed his cheek.

"I will." Tellan then went to Alex and Alex bent down so he could kiss Tellan too. "I love you, mommy, daddy."

"Love you too, little man." Alex tucked his hands into the pockets of his jeans as Tellan left.

I sat up and Natasha came in, closing the door behind her.

"Jasmine, I'm so sorry." She spoke heavily, her voice laced with pain.

"What happened?" I crinkled my brows together, reaching out for Alex. His hand slipped from his pocket and his fingers laced with mine.

"Harry was transported earlier today to a secure facility off the coast of California. We've just received news that the jet encountered HYDRA on the way there."

My heart jumped to my throat, my free had coming up to cover my mouth.

"I'm so sorry, Jazz. I know he was a close friend. He was close to all of us. He was a traitor but that doesn't make it any easier—,"

"It's okay." I whispered, tearing my gaze away from her to look at the ground. "It's okay. He did it for his family.... I only wish I got.... I got to tell him I understood but that I would've been able to help him."

"You wouldn't have been able to help, Jasmine." Alex shook is head gently, squeezing my fingers. "HYDRA's made up of thousands and thousands of agents."

I stayed silent, unsure of what to even say.

He was gone. I lost Harry forever.

"I'll keep Tellan occupied for a few hours to give you guys some time." Natasha told Alex and he nodded his head.

I listened as the door clicked shut.

Alex knelt down in front of me and brushed my blonde curls back.

"He can watch over us now and protect us." Alex's fingertips brushed over my jaw as leaned in to kiss my lips gently. "How're you feeling?"

"I don't know." I admitted.

"Are you angry? Sad? Do you want to cry?"

"Yes. But I won't. It's not healthy for the baby and I want the baby to be healthy." I placed my hands on my lower stomach and looked down. "I know I should hate him, Alex. He.... He could've killed Tellan, he could've killed you.... He killed our home." I took a deep breath and let my forehead rest against Alex's chest. "But I miss him so much."