~*~

It was the next day and darkness fell over the forest. Crookedstar called off the names of the cats who would attend the Gathering. Hopeflame sat beside Stormblaze in the shadows where no one could see them.

"Leopardfur, Stonefur, Mistypool, Blackclaw, Shadepelt, Graystripe, Stormblaze, Featherstream, and Hopeflame." Crookedstar called out. "No apprentices for this Gathering with the high tensions." He leaped down from the TreeStump and the chosen cats gathered at the entrance.

Hopeflame sat and waited with Stormblaze and Featherstream. "Does Graystripe know you're expecting kits yet?" She asked Featherstream in a whisper.

"No, I'm going to tell him soon, though." Featherstream answered.

"How do you think he'll take the news when you can't tell him who the father is?" Hopeflame whispered.

Featherstream lowered her head. "I don't know..."

Suddenly, Crookedstar stood up and led the clan out of camp. Hopeflame kept pace with Stormblaze and Featherstream as the large patrol made its way along the river. They reached the twoleg bridge and Hopeflame found herself staying near Stormblaze.

Once on the other side, it was a straight shot to Fourtrees. Hopeflame could hear the voices of the other clans so she concluded that they must be the last to arrive. Crookedstar led RiverClan into Fourtrees and TigerClan and WindClan watched. Immediately, Crookedstar made his way towards the Great Rock and RiverClan split up.

Hopeflame ditched Stormblaze without him noticing and went to find Brambleclaw. She searched the crowd for his familiar dark brown tabby pelt and unfortunately saw many dark brown tabbies. Her heart clenched with worry that he might not even be here tonight.

Suddenly, she felt someone brush against her. Hopeflame turned around and came face to face with Brambleclaw. She immediately began purring and looked around to make sure no one was looking. Then she brushed her cheek against his and he twined his tail with hers.

"I've missed you," Brambleclaw purred softly. "How are you?"

"I'm a warrior now," She told him proudly. "My name is Hopeflame now. How is everyone in TigerClan?" Hopeflame asked him.

Brambleclaw licked her cheek and her fur turned hot. "Darkstripe died in a training accident and now...Tigerstar made me his deputy."

Hopeflame's eyes grew wide. "Really? That's really unexpected but, um, I'm happy for you."

From the crowd, Hopeflame noticed two familiar cats. She immediately greeted them in extreme happiness. "Owlpaw! Maplepaw!" They greeted her in return and it was a big happy reunion. She hasn't seen Maplepaw since she left and her last encounter with Owlpaw was less than pleasant.

"It's Owlgaze now," Her brother meowed, puffing out his chest.

"I'm Hopeflame now too," She exclaimed. Then she turned to Maplepaw. Was this cat before her really her sister?

Maplepaw wasn't so scrawny anymore. Her ginger and white pelt gleamed under the moonlight and her amber eyes were bright. She looked healthy and happy.

"We've missed you so much, Hopeflame." Maplepaw meowed. "Mother misses you too."

Hopeflame flattened her ears at the mention of Sandstorm, but then she remembered that they didn't know why she was upset with their mother. She was about to answer when the clan leaders called the Gathering to order. Hopeflame slipped away from them and went to find Stormblaze and Featherstream.

Tallstar went first. "WindClan has three new warriors: Crowfeather, Skybreeze, and Cloudpool. Eaglepaw has been apprenticed to Onewhisker and Soarpaw to Breezetail. Also, Runningbrook is expecting Onewhisker's kits."

Crookedstar spoke next. "RiverClan has three new warriors as well: Stormblaze, Featherstream, and Hopeflame. We also have four new apprentices: Hailpaw, Dewpaw, Turtlepaw, and Shimmerpaw."

All eyes turned to Tigerstar who stepped forward. His black stripes glinted in the moonlight and his muscles rippled beneath his dark brown tabby pelt. "TigerClan is strong. We have many new warriors: Cedartail, Rowanclaw, Brambleclaw, Tawnypelt, and Owlgaze. Darkflower is the mother of three new kits. Also, Cinderpelt is expecting kits and will be taking a break from her healer duties."

Sudden uproar filled the clearing from all three clans. Medicine cats couldn't have kits! Some cats even called for her to be exiled.

"Silence!" Tigerstar snarled, "Cinderpelt is not a medicine cat, she's a healer. In TigerClan, every she-cat must bear at least one litter in her lifetime. That's the code we follow. Ferncloud and Brightflower are also expecting kits."

Tigerstar bowed his head. "Also, Darkstripe was unfortunately killed in a training accident. I've chosen Brambleclaw to be the new TigerClan deputy."

No one spoke, not even a word. Deadly silence filled the hollow. Slowly, the clans started to disperse to find their clanmates. Hopeflame had to speak with Brambleclaw one more time.

She pushed through the crowd and found Brambleclaw just short of the Great Rock. His amber eyes brightened when he saw her. "I've got a message on behalf of Tigerstar."

He leaned closer to whisper in her ear. "Tomorrow night at moonhigh, TigerClan attacks. Come to the Stepping Stones to receive further instruction." Brambleclaw licked her cheek. "Soon we can be together."