Misspelled Names

[Please read the note at the end!]

A Z A L E A

 I stared back at him, shock written on my face. I didn't move a muscle as my feet became glued to the tile. I refused to believe him.

"You what?" I choked, struggling to find the right words.

He groaned and looked straight into my hazel eyes, "I love you," He repeated.

"But... but you can't! I'm with Niall, you know that!"

"What's so damn special about Niall? Sure, he's a celebrity, but do you even have anything in common? You've known each other for such a short time, he could leave you any second! You two act like you've been together for years, when in reality, it's been less than a month!" He threw his hands up for emphasis.

"How can you say that? I love him!" My voice cracked as the words escaped my chapped lips.

"For Christ's sake, you don't even know what love is! You don't know what it feels like to love someone the way I do! I can't believe this shit," and with that statement, he slammed the door shut.

"Ugh!" I groaned and fell into a couch pillow.

I lie on the sofa and soak in the silence. As I hear the shower shut off, I know that I only have a few minutes before Eleanor comes back into the family room. I try to move, but I can't. I tell my mind that I have to get up, but my body remains still. My emotions continue to argue with one another as Eleanor trots down the stairs.

She sees me curled up and immediately asks what's wrong.

"El, I think you already know what's wrong," I glare at her.

"Az, cut the crap and tell me," She sits beside me and dries her damp hair with a towel.

"Josh just confessed his love for me while you were conveniently in the fucking shower. You must have already known, he's been rude to Niall all day." I get up and walk out of the room without even looking at her. She walks in right after me, clearly not grasping the idea that I want to be alone.

"For your information, I did notice. But I already knew he had feelings for you because he told me. I said to him, 'If you love someone, go after them,' but then you started dating Niall, and it was too late for me to take back what I said." She explained.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" I shouted. 

"Because I know you! You'd never believe me if I told you!" She shouted back.

"You still should have said something! We're best friends! Why would you keep this a fucking secret?"

"Are you seriously upset with me for this? What was I supposed to say? 'Hey Azalea, Josh is coming over, and by the way, he has a thing for you'? Eleanor retorted.

"Forget it, El. He probably hates me now, anyways." I give up and collapse on my bed.

"He's probably mad, but I know he doesn't hate you. He hates himself for letting you slip away so easily."

I don't respond to her and she leaves the room without another word. I lie on the mattress and stare at the ceiling for a few minutes. I'm not sure how, but I managed to sleep that night.

***

I wake up to the ringing of my phone. I stretched and reached for it.

"Hello?" I answered groggily.

"Hey babe! Or should I say good morning!" Niall chuckled.

"Ha ha very funny," I laughed bitterly, "What's up?"