Chapter 20 - Almost There

It didn’t take me any longer than half of that to take care of him. I seriously doubted anyone would mourn Benny’s demise in the first place. When you thought about it, I think Nicholls and I were the closest you could call ‘friends’ he had and we both beat the crap out of him on a regular basis.

                I wouldn’t admit it to Alex, but he was probably right about me having my wounds looked at before I did that but it had to be done and before Nicholls was moving around again. There was no way I could have done this as quick if I’d had her tagging along. Sure, Alex was right and that she’d be almost as good as new in a couple of hours but she’d slow me down and I figured she’d want to concentrate on saving her strength for the other vampire.

                I was right about that down to the minute. Exactly two hours after Alex had finished with her, she slowly rose to her feet. Flexing out her muscles and testing the injury. She looked surprised that it felt almost like new, as if the sell was beyond what she thought the product promised. Couldn’t help but take that as an insult seeing my blood had been used. Then she frowned at us and I waited for the barrage of curse words and violence that I was positive was coming until Alex got in first.

                ‘Ask no questions and I’ll tell you no lies about how it all works.’

                ‘Fine, whatever. I’d love to continue this charming conversation but that bitch is out there somewhere.’

                She stopped just long enough to reload her gun, shove a couple of stakes away and left. Alex shot me a dirty look and I returned it. I’d seen that look before and I knew exactly what it meant. So now he thought I was responsible for her was my guess. Okay, maybe I’d taken the bullets but I didn’t control her by a long shot. My bet was no one on this bloody planet had any control over her, least of all anyone of the fanged variety.

                ‘Shouldn’t you have stopped her?’

                ‘And get kicked in the nuts for my trouble? No thanks, I like my balls where they are currently positioned. She’s a hunter, she’s going to do what she wants anyway. At least after that speedy recovery she’ll be more of a match for Georgia.’

                He sighed, giving in and deciding not to push the point. ‘Fine, if you say so. Sit your ass down so now I can deal with you.’

                Wasn’t my finest ten minutes and he’d been right about the making it harder thing as usual. He essentially had to cut my flesh and open the wounds again but this wasn’t the first time I had made him do that. I’d once carried a bullet around in my arm for three weeks while hiding out from an angry mob. More fool me for thinking that at the turn of the century some countries in Europe had gone beyond the whole blood sucking creature of the night thing. Things really hadn’t changed. The only difference now is that instead of calling them mobs, they were vampire hunters.

                'You're bloody lucky Benny is such a crap shot,' Alex told me as he squinted in the dark, pulling the second bullet out.

                Benny couldn't even walk a straight line, let alone shoot one from a gun. I'd been relying on that when I'd thrown myself in front of Nicholls. My shoulder felt like it was on fire but I knew it wouldn't take long for that to fade or the scar to heal over. In a few hours, no one would even know that a bullet hole had been there.

                'Better me than her,' I told him, gritting my teeth as he gave a final tug. ‘I’ve got that whole immortal thing going for me, you know. It was just another day at the office, my dear.’