5. realizations

SONG - NEVER LET YOU DOWN - Lykke Li

"What do you mean my mother gave Noah $150 000?! He's a fucking kid!" Aunt Hannah shouted. Her face was red and her neck veins were bulging. She looked like a cherry faced Bruce Banner. I might have laughed myself if I wasn't both frightened and confused at the announcement. Barry sat with a neutral expression gauging the different reactions of my family members.

David shook his head but had a knowing look, like it was something he expected. Dad was sullen but said nothing. Edie was a precise shade of outrage which was similar to Aunt Hannah's.

"There must be some mistake," Hannah said.

Barry shook his head "No there isn't. Holly made sure that the sole beneficiaries of her life insurance policy were grandchildren. David is to receive $100 000 while Noah is to receive $150 000."

"She can't do that!" Hannah exclaimed. But grandma could and had done it obviously. My fingers gripped the armrest of the sofa to form a suitable distraction because I wasn't sure what to say. I glanced at David. He caught my eye and looked away.

"But he's just a teenager. Surely he's too young to handle that kind of money?" Edie spoke.

Barry replied "Edie was completely aware when she took out the policy. I believe she knew her grandson well enough to be sure whether he'd be able to handle it well enough. She made it in such a way that Noah would gain access to the money so long as he was past sixteen years old. Majority of the money is to go into his school fund which I manage on his behalf." A part of me wanted to point out that Grandma had left money to both of her grandsons. But no one seemed to dwell on that part.

"But why? I mean isn't Rex her son? Surely he deserved to get something from his own mother?" She pressed further. He knees shook restlessly as was her habit whenever she was upset. Her arms were folded together. Dad placed his hand on her lap. It was a gesture meant to silence her. She gave him an incredulous look.

"If that's what Mom wanted, then so be it," Dad said with such finality that seemed to surprise everyone in the room.

Hannah paused her raving and ranting for a moment to acknowledge him before continuing "Well this is some utter bullshit. After everything I did for that old hag and she still left me out of her will."

"Your mother left you with her beach house in Pensacola. Its market value is quite good," Barry pointed out placing a watch clad wrist on the table.

Hannah scoffed roughly snatching her purse from the table "We all know she didn't give a fuck about that place. It's just like my bitch of a mother to always pass me her hand-me-downs."

"Don't say that," I warned without thinking about it. Normally I'd ignore most of the things my aunt said but I couldn't ignore that. Grandma was someone whose name I could not let go tarnished. All eyes turned back to my direction.

Aunt Hannah narrowed her eyes at me "Don't even let me start with you kid. This entire thing is your fucking fault. It just had to be so that you're the only one she ever gave a crap about."

"It's not," David spoke surprisingly in my defense. Aunt Hannah stood up from the chair, prancing angrily to the door of the conference room "This whole thing is fucking bullshit. Expect a call from my lawyer to contest it."

"Of course," Barry replied in a solemn tone. It was obvious that he was used to such threats already. Once the door slammed shut, the entire room seemed to release the breath that it had been holding. Barry cleared his throat and continued reading.