Chapter 18. III

All four of them looked at each other with distaste. Nowadays, no one's mood was very open anymore. After 5 supposed deaths, their feelings became as bitter as can be. The secret discussion in the rec room had not been forgotten though, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at them. They looked at each other with questioning looks. After a few seconds of awkward silence Nico coughed.

"Uhhh... Where's Max?" he asked. Running his hands through his hair he looked everywhere but at them.

Kal narrowed his eyes and said, "How particular..." Walking past Tess and Nico, he came to Maira's door. Opening it up he stepped inside.

After a few seconds, Kal fell back out. His face held disbelief and he sported a large bruise on his forehead. Before anyone could ask any questions, Maira came strutting out. Dropping the lamp she held in her hands, she pointed back into the room.

"I might've... um... Max is knocked out in there. Give him my apologies when he wakes up." she stated, wincing.

Nico could not see any of the panic and hysteria in her face, like the night before. She was calm and more open. She wasn't like she was that night, but she wasn't herself. Before he could open his mouth, Angela shrieked with joy.

"OMG YOU'RE BACK! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH! MAIRA WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!" Angela's shrill voice cracked out. Opening her arms towards Maira to give her a hug, she started walking closer.

Angela enveloped her arms around Maira, holding tight the single hope she had that everything was going to be okay.

Nico knew Angela meant well, but he could see Maira's discomfort. Her uncertain face looked over Angela's shoulder at the ground. Nico could see that Angela's arms gave her no relief.