Chapter 4

The next day I found myself trailing a Red servant down a long bright corridor. The queen had ordered my presence at a breakfast with the Samos house.

Servants had entered my room early and forced me into a tight, short silver dress. It was nothing more then a simple slim fitting dress but the red jewels that adorned me made me seem threatening. Red rubies and crystals hung from my neck like drops of blood. Matching bracelets hung from my wrists, their red jewels dripping off my arms. A silver chain hugged my head causing the perfect raindrop of a ruby to hang over my forehead. My oak red hair was braided back and at the bottom a silver symbol of the burning crown held it in place. I looked dangerous, exactly how I should, and I assume exactly how they wanted.

The moment I entered the small, private dining room I felt all eyes on me, especially the eyes of Evangeline. I had beaten her in the ring and stolen her crown. I could only imagine what she really thought of me behind that facade of a smile plastered on her face.

"Hello, Enania," the queen purred. "I'm glad you could join us." She motioned to the seat next to her and I quickly took my place.

During our session the day before she hadn't seen much. Nothing of Reds however, only my life on the battlefield and the fall of both my houses.

"I know you've already met Evangeline. I'd like you to meet Potolemus Samos," he bowed his head slightly and I returned it in kind.

Before anymore words could be spoken a small but grand breakfast was brought before us. Many types of fruits filled the table along with a few forms of meat. Everyone dug in like this was normal. I ate little, sitting practically still in my threatening attire.

"Of course we aren't here to just eat," the queen stated, dabbing at her lips with a napkin. "We have business to discuss," I felt uneasy at those words as a chill traced my spine. "Samos," she gestured towards Potolemus.

"We are sending you back to Naercey to find any Red survivors or to lure the Guard to you. The idea of a royal who was possibly among their ranks at one point would be a terrible opportunity for them to pass up," his eyes scanned me up and down. "It shouldn't bother you considering you lived on the island for so long," by his eyes I could tell he sensed my uneasiness. "Unless there is some dire secret you have yet to reveal."

Evangeline's eyes turned wicked. She had an opportunity to tear me down and she wasn't going to let it pass up.

"Perhaps she's harboring the fallen prince and the little lightning girl," she mumbled as if it was nothing.

All eyes narrowed, especially the queens. Before I had the chance to speak, however, Maven entered the room. Why his presence soothed me I did not know. I calmed my mind and locked eyes with Evangeline.

"I'll have you know the only time I met the two was the day you chased them out of Naercey. For a brief moment I saw them as they came and soon your Snapdragons were zooming over head," while this I knew they would bite, Maven knew that was a lie. I had been there before when him and Mare made their first trip to Naercey. "Your soldiers had a hold of me before I could ever do a thing," my eyes turned to Maven and I stared him down, but still addressed Evangeline. "So don't falsely accuse me when you couldn't even keep a grip on your own prince," I snapped as I turned my attention back to her. I heard Maven snicker as he took the empty seat beside me.

"You look dangerous. The danger in your voice matches your appearance, I am impressed," his finger brushed my shoulder.

"So you have no opposition going to Naercey then?" Evangeline hissed. Her hatred was plain as day in her voice. I had stollen her crown and she would never forgive me.

"Of course," I stated coolly. 

I felt Maven's hand close over mine and turned to see something flicker in his eyes. His cool blue eyes were wide, his lips set in a firm line. His hand tightened around mine. He was afraid. But of what?

"You will leave in the morning," the queen stated as she got to her feet and left us.

I got to my feet as well and Maven followed in suite. He had me link his arm with his and began to lead me down corridor after corridor.

"Where are we going Maven?" I whisper in a cruel manner, not enjoying be dragged around by a cruel prince.

Before he could answer I felt raindrops against my skin. I looked up to the grey sky and soaked in the feeling of rain streaking down my face. When I broke from the feeling I noticed we were in a form of graveyard. Ahead of us was a decent sized tomb. On the doors was engraved the burning crown.

"The Kings grave," I mumbled.

I turned my eyes to Maven and watched as a concoction of anger and sorrow swam in his eyes. He took his arm from mine and approached the tomb. I watched his hands heat up as he pressed them to the emblem and the doors slowly creaked open. He cast a glance to me before sinking into the darkness of the tomb.

I stood in the rain, soaking it all into my skin. I cast my eyes back up to the sky and began to wonder what Cal was doing at the moment. They were all running and fearing for their lives which had been turned upside down. We had all been cast into a world of chaos. All in rolls we never dreamed of. Cal was a rebel, on the run, labeled as a murderer. I was becoming a queen. Mare was leading a new form of blood. Maven was a king.

I was pulled from the darkness as Maven exited the tomb, a sparkling silver crown in his hands. He approached me and I watched as his hands slightly shook. I knew who's crown it was. It was Cal's mother's crown. This was a sign to Maven that Cal's leadership was over. Slowly he placed it upon my head and locked his ice cold eyes with mine.

"I can kill you as easily as they were killed," he spoke of the Cal's father and mother. "Don't think I'm not watching you," suddenly there was a searing pain to the left side of my chest. I gritted my teeth and hissed, looking down I saw him branding me. He was reminding me. I belonged to him.