Chapter 12

The moon was almost at its highest point, when Dean and Ashtyn were making their last runs through the camp, trying to make sure that everyone was at the cave and not alone here when the monster was unleashed. It seemed so empty, compared to the nights before it, so apparently his plan had worked.

"Bet you'll never think of camp the same again, will ya?" Dean asked her as they walked along a path that was leading them out of camp and back into the woods.

"I guess not. She shrugged her shoulders. "I knew something about my life was about to change, but this..." she stopped for a second, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Oh well I guess huh?"

"What do you mean?" Dean asked

"Just that, knowing all this is out there, it changes things." No one understood that more than Dean did.

Just then they heard a sound, it was the sound of loud growling and what sounded like howls. Ashtyn looked at the moon.

"Don't worry wrong kind of monster." Dean said looking at her in the moonlight. Any other time and he might have tried to kiss her.

She looked at him, "It's time, we better go."

He agreed and the two headed off in the direction of the cave careful not to make any excess noise. They were almost there when they heard a twig break in the near distance, a rustling of leaves on a tree and heavy breath out.

"When I tell you to, run." Dean said without even looking at her. She nodded her heart pounding. This was it. They'd either make it out or not at all. They waited and they waited for what seemed like hours, until the beast emerged from the bushes. He walked out, half man, half beast. His chest was that of a man, but his head, the shape of a bull. "Okay, Ashtyn," Dean said quietly "RUN!" he yelled at her.... And just like that she started going, the beast started chasing after her right away. "Hey you giant cow!" He yelled at it, and shot off his shotgun in its direction, "Why don't you pick on someone your own size!" He bent down and picked up the nearest rock throwing it at him, taunting him away from Ashtyn. Just then, the bull came running right at him. He saw Ashtyn stop and look... "Go!" He yelled at her and then took a minute realize that the bull was charging right at him. He held his ground, held up the shotgun and waited for the perfect moment. Just before the bull bent down its head to gore him, Dean shot off a round, and it went right into his chest.

The bull stopped and stared down at his chest, and then he looked back up at Dean, his face getting angrier. He growled, blowing steam, out of his nostrils.

" Sonofa___" Dean muffled under his breath. And he started running. He ran back into the woods, running as fast as he could over fallen trees and rocks, trying to lead the thing as far away from the cave, Ashtyn and his brother.

-------------------

Sam had been waiting at the front of the cave, "letting" people in, and waiting for any sign of his brother and the secretary. When she came running up without him, he felt a knot in his stomach, and that's when he heard the shot gun blast for the second time.

"Where's Dean?" Sam asked as she ran into the cave.

She was out of breath, but in between breaths she told Sam which direction he had run. Sam picked up the rifle ready to go get his brother.

"Sam, Don't. He would want you to stay here." She said through heavy breath. He looked at her, and thought for a split second to stay.

"I can't" He said and headed out to find his brother. He ran in the direction of where they had found the body, he was pretty sure that that's where he would find him, "Ashtyn" He yelled as he ran back towards the cave. She came running out, still out of breath, she looked at him. "I need you to show me where you found the body."