6

I looked at Lynn across the table. My plan to ask her was ruined and I'd have to go with a boy instead of a girl. She looked at me with the same disappointed gaze. Neither of us were happy but we had no other choice except to go and get our date's names. I was with a boy named Thomas and Lynn was with a boy named Chase.
    Even though we couldn't go together didn't mean we couldn't prepare for the dance together. We went dress shopping and helped each other pick our favorite dresses and shoes and a day later we were getting ready for the dance together. We held hands and nervously walked to the school doorstep to be met by our dates. We saw Chase and Thomas waiting out front for our arrival. "Look!" Lynn whispered squeezing my hand tighter. Bubbles of excitement rose inside me when I saw that Chase and Thomas were holding hands. They looked sad at each other then parted to look for us. I approached Thomas and introduced myself. "Are you guys together?" He asked. I looked down at mine and Lynn's hands intertwined and nodded. "That's cool, I'm actually with Chase if you you didn't see" he laughed. "We shouldn't have to all be split up then. And it will still be even with boys and girls if we all go with who we want to go with". We all agreed as Chase came walking over." None of our friends know, though" Thomas said worriedly. "Neither do ours," I replied "let's all show them today." It was time to go into the dance. Chase linked arms with Chase and I linked arms with Lynn and we got in line. As we walked in the doors many teachers protested and other students started but we were immensely happy that we were with the people that we loved and that we  weren't the only ones who were different.