Repair

Steve woke up at 0600 and followed his regular routine of breakfast, a jog, then a shower. He didn't have to exercise but he does it to feel normal, like nothing happened to him.

He was nervous about the mission he was going on tomorrow. He knew he could do it but something was bothering him. Maybe it was the fact that he was overestimated. He felt like he wasn't a threat, that he was just another soldier. Whatever was holding him back, he'd overcome. Can't run away forever right?

He went to meet with Howard because he had just finished the uniform he requested. His new Captain America suit. It was strong, represented his country, and it was similar to his stage costume. His shield was decorated to match the uniform as well. It looked amazing, like a real American icon. America's new hope.

"So how's it feel Cap?"

"Fitting."

"That's good. Anything that feels uncomfortable?"

"No. It's perfect Howard thank you."

"Just doin' my job kid."

Peggy walked in and stopped when she saw him. She muttered,"Wow," under her breath before walking towards the boys.

"Captain."

"Agent Carter." He quickly took the helmet off to reveal his messy blond hair. He looked even better without the helmet. "What do you think?" He was always looking for her approval

"I think you look good." She was too nervous to say anything else.

"Thank you." He smirked and they locked eyes until Howard broke the silence.

"Do you want me to leave or-"

"No, no. Nice work on the uniform Howard." She said and Steve couldn't stop staring at her.

"Peg- Agent Carter." She turned to face him. "Can we talk about the mission tomorrow?"

"Of course Captain." They waved goodbye to Howard and he led her to the empty briefing room and shut the door.

"Ok this isn't really about the mission."

"I thought so."

"I wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday."

"I'm listening."

"I know you're still mad so hear me out. I'm sorry for kissing Lorraine." Her eyebrow raised. "I was about to pull back before you walked in, honest. The daydreaming thing in the meeting yesterday, I can't really explain. It just sort of happened and I didn't mean for you to get angry." He looked down at her with apologetic eyes that no one could say no to. She even felt herself breaking and a smile started to form.

"Thank you Steve. I wasn't angry with you I was more..." She struggled to find the word then struggled to say it. "Jealous." He raised his eyebrow. "Yes I know it sounds ridiculous but I just-"

"I know the feeling. I wouldn't want to see you kiss anyone else either." They smiled. "And I'm sorry for saying you and Howard were-" He stopped himself when she knew what he meant.

"You certainly are sorry for a lot of things."

"Yes because it's my fault."

"Steve not everything is your fault. It isn't a one-sided relationship. Whoever you think you wronged, had part in it too. It was just you."

"Yeah I guess you're right. Thanks Peggy."

"Of course Steve." They hugged for a little longer than average and left the briefing room.