Saving the 107th and Waiting for the Right Partner

"What the hell is goin' on out there?" Colonel Phillips exited the tent with Peggy trailing behind. Soldiers were sprinting towards the front gate with enthusiasm and excitement. Phillips led Peggy to the center where Captain Rogers was leading all of the men that were supposed to be dead. Peggy's heart almost jumped out of her chest when she saw Steve again.

"These men need medical attention." Rogers looked around to see all of the surprised faces then directed his attention back at the Colonel. "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

"That won't be necessary." Phillips stormed off. He never liked being proven wrong. The stage actor that had punched Hitler in face over 200 times was kicking Nazi ass behind the scenes.

Peggy walked up to him, showing her surprise.

"You're late." She didn't care if he was late, only that he came back and she could stare into his ocean eyes again. He searched his pockets and pulled out a destroyed radio.

"Couldn't call my ride." He smirked and Peggy could have kissed him in front of everybody then but she resisted. They stood there, motionless, until the men stopped cheering and walked away.

"Thank you for helping me find my friend."

"Yes well I don't tend to leave any man behind."

"Captain Rogers! We need a report." Steve rolled his eyes.

"I'll find you later." Peggy nodded and walked off to the underground base.

Through the front door were stone stairs that led down to another door. Through that, there was a pathway that led to the mapped factories and to the left was the records room and the private room corridor. To the right was a hallway that led to Howard's lab, the briefing room, and Phillips' office. Peggy spent most of her time with Howard when she didn't have any work or she stayed in her private room.

There were only six people that had a private room. Colonel Phillips, Agent Carter, Howard Stark, and Dr. Erskine were just some. Since Dr. Erskine had passed, they were going to give Captain Rogers the room. He had been a hero, even if he went beyond the rule book. He saved men that nobody bothered to go after.

"So Captain Wonder is back?" Howard peered up from his work to look at Peggy.

"How did you know?"

"You seem happier than usual." Peggy put her hands on her hips and shook off his comment.

"I think I seem perfectly miserable."

"Oh come on Pegs. Give yourself some enjoyment. Allow yourself to be happy that your boyfriend is home." Howard was having fun teasing her.

"First off he's not my boyfriend. Second off he does not make me happy."

"Your mouth may be calm but your eyes are wild. I think he likes you back if it makes you feel better." Peggy sighed.

"You don't have an off button do you?"

"No. Would you like to find it?" He stood up and held his hands at his sides.

"I don't know why I bother coming here." Peggy walked off to her dorm and shut the door. She sat on the edge of her bed and sighed.

Yes, Steve did make her happy but she wasn't going to act upon it. Ever since she saw the little man on the base, she had taken a liking to him. Even his spiel about finding the right partner made her swoon. She was trying to push her feelings back because they couldn't interfere with war. Romance couldn't get between them.