Chapter Five

"Okay, bye, everyone. Have an amazing evening!" Gabriella was just closing the door of her classroom.
Troy was still sitting in his desk in the back of the class. He still felt really awkward.
"Troy," Gabriella came to the back of the classroom. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you I lived here."
"I didn't have a right to know where you lived, Gabriella. It's fine." Troy put his plastic cup in the trash can.
"This is extremely awkward." Gabriella sighed.
"Yeah. Well, I'm going home now." Troy began to walk out.
"Troy, wait," Gabriella grabbed his arm.
"No, Gabriella. I can't stand to stay here and talk." Troy removed his arm from her hand.
"Why not?" Gabriella asked.
"You left me! Completely left me without a damn reason! I was hurt!" Troy rubbed the back of his neck.
Gabriella knew this move much too well. He was stressed or mad whenever he did this.
"Troy, I didn't want to hurt you." Gabriella said softly.
"Hurt me? That was probably the thing that could hurt me most!" Troy said.
"I thought leaving you was best. Your career was just beginning. You wouldn't be the man you are today if I didn't leave you!" Gabriella said.
"You know what?" Troy asked shakily.
"What, Troy?" Gabriella sat on the desk and crossed her legs.
"I loved you. I thought I did." Troy said. "Then I realized I loved someone who clearly didn't love me back. I didn't think I'd love again. Then my wonderful daughter came along and changed everything."
"Troy, I loved you," Gabriella took his hands in hers. "I still do. I've never stopped."
"Just forget this! I gotta go home. Lauren needs me, I mean, Brittany." Troy said.
"Who's Lauren?" Gabriella asked.
"Why do you care?" Troy asked.
"I'm sorry, Troy. But who is she?"
"She's my ex-girlfriend. Brittany's mother. She left us."
"I'm sorry.."
Before Gabriella could say anything else, Troy's phone rung.
"Sorry, it's my daughter." Troy answered the phone. It was on speaker.

"Hey, Daddy."
"Hey, sweetheart."
"When are you going to be home?"
"In a bit. I'm at your school right now."
"Oh, so did you see the teacher yet? She's that girl that's in the photos."
"Yes, Brittany. I seen. Can I call you back, honey?"
"Sure, Daddy. Um, I was just going to order a pizza for Kylie and I. Are you gonna be home? I could order you something."
"I'm gonna catch a late dinner with Christie. I'll be fine, honey. Is Kylie sleeping over?"
"Yes, she is. Okay, Daddy. I love you so much!"
"You girls have fun, sweetie. I love you too, baby girl. Bye bye."

Troy turned back to Gabriella. "Sorry, it's on speaker. Brittany picked out this Sony Experia for me, I have no idea how to use it. I'm used to an iPhone."
"You and your daughter have a great relationship." Gabriella smiled.
"Thanks. She's my everything." Troy looked down at the floor then back up at Gabriella. "How about you? Are you married and do you have any kids?"
"Yes. I have a daughter..." Gabriella said shakily. "And I was married, his name was Michael."
"Oh. What's your daughter's name?" Troy asked.
"Peyton." Gabriella said. "She is fourteen."
"Fourteen? You left me fourteen years ago..." Troy said.
"Well, that's when I met Michael." Gabriella said. She didn't want to tell Troy that Peyton was his daughter.
"Well, you moved on pretty damn quick." Troy left the classroom in a flash.
_______________________________

"Yes, thank you. Bye." Brittany was closing the door.
Kylie and her had order an extra large pepperoni pizza, a 2L and bread sticks that evening.
"Where's your dad?" Kylie asked settling the pizza box on the granite counter top.
"He's with our teacher. Gabriella Montez." Brittany began to set plates on the counter.
Kylie put two slices of pizza on each plate and poured pepsi in the two glasses.
Brittany and Kylie were having a sleepover that night. They had been best friends since their dads met years ago.
Kylie was currently wearing blue striped pajama bottoms and a white tanktop. Brittany was wearing pink shorts and a grey tanktop.
"So, what's going on between your dad and this lady?" Kylie asked pressing play on the 55' TV in the family room.
Kylie and Brittany were watching 90210.
"I don't know. You know how he sometimes tells us those stories about that girl from high school? She left him and I think he's mad so I know no one will get between us." Brittany smiled.
"Oh, decathalon girl?" Kylie took a bite of a bread stick.
"Yep. Decathalon girl."
_________________________________

"Mom?" Peyton looked at the front door and seen Gabriella coming in. Peyton was watching TV in the living room.
"Oh, hi, honey. I was at a parent teacher meeting." Gabriella said.
"Oh, I was chilling here all day waiting for you. God sakes, I thought you were dead." Peyton argued.
"I'm sorry, honey. It was a subbing thing today for Miranda. It was totally last minute and I had to run meetings so I turned my phone off and focussed today." Gabriella explained.
"Whatever. I'm going to sleep." Peyton went upstairs to her room.
Gabriella sighed and went into her study to review a few of her cases.