Chapter 14: Your Brain Gets Smart But Your Head Gets Dumb

Start from the beginning

I'd slammed the door in his face, locked it then went to bed without saying another word.

Of course Iris had managed to drag me to mass the next day, Gerard had tried repeatedly to start a conversation and each time I'd give him the cold shoulder.

I wasn't sure but I think he's given up, he'd stopped me after classes and tried to talk but he didn't try today which was nice.

I've just had enough of him, how he'd play with my head, never making up his mind how he'd want to treat me. At first he'd been really nice then became a jerk for a while and gone back to nice. It was too confusing.

I'm not the kind of person who enjoys being jerked around, I liked my reality in plain black and white, not a colourful spectrum.

"Do you wanna go outside?" She asked and I did a once over of my homework before closing the book next to me and putting my pencil down.

"Sure, I haven't got anything else to do." I caught my jacket when Iris threw it to me and put it on before standing up, brushing biscuit crumbs off my lap.

It's been snowing for three days straight so the whole landscape of the school was covered in white like it'd been sprinkled with icing.

The snow out here was so pretty. It was pretty in America as well but not even close to the natural look of England.

America was so false, it didn't look normal but here everything was in the right place, perfect.

As crazy as it might sound I was actually happy out here.

"Do you make igloos in America?" Iris said, leaning down and packing snow into the shape of a brick.

"No, what's an igloo?" She didn't seem to understand that I was using sarcasm so I had to explain it to her before going onto another story.

"I remember this one time back home when I was hanging out with Quince and Jelly, we built an igloo and they convinced me to get in," I started laughing, thinking of my best friends, "and the bastards jumped on it while I was in there."

Iris giggled as I told her more about my mates and our stupid and irresponsible adventures.

"Once we were hanging out at this party and Jelly was flirting with a guy she liked then she leant in to kiss him and vomited all over his shoes. She wasn't even drunk, she'd been feeling sick the whole day." Jelly has never forgiven me for convincing her to go to that party and hated me even more for repeating the tale.

Iris and I managed to build the igloo within half an hour since we both had a lot of experience around snow. Like a normal pair of teenagers we were joking around and laughing the whole time.

After finishing we climbed inside the rather spacious room of ice, zipping our jackets up to deal with the predictable cold.

I stretched my legs out as much as possible and dug a hole in the side so I could see the world outside.

My eyes went wide when I saw a familiar pair of boots trudging through the heavy layer of snow, walking right past the igloo.

I didn't think there'd be anyone around since we were out the back of the dorm but apparently my beliefs were proven wrong.

"Shit." I whispered, please God don't make him be looking for me, I'm in no mood to chat with him.

"What?" Iris tried to look out but there wasn't enough room for both of our eyes so she moved back.

"It's the priest." I said ominously, suppressing a giggle that threatened to escape.

"Oh good, I've been wanting to talk to him." She started to move towards the exit but I stopped her with a hand on her shoulder.