Goodbye My Love Part 4

Walk forward my beauty

Fear not for what's gone

New life is given

At breaking of dawn

Chapter 4 Goodbye My Love  

Stix fell back into the dark pool of her blood. Kia thought the life would go out of her own body until she heard Song cry out. Kneeling, Kia pressed her fingers into Stix's neck searching for the pulse of life.

"Song! Help me stop the bleeding!"

"She needs something for a bandage, but we don't have anything," Song said.

"Get the blanket from Vee. We can use that."

"No! I can't! I can't," Song sobbed.

Like a wild animal, Kia clawed the dirt from around Vee's body. "It's the only bandage we have and she doesn't need it anymore." Cutting her hands on sharp rocks, she finally loosened the knife belt and untied the rope holding the blanket to Vee's back. The weapon felt heavy in her hand, as if it didn't want to leave its owner. Kia banished the thought and cut a strip and wrapped it around Stix's blood-soaked leg then tied the grass rope tight.

"Is she going to die?" Song's voice quivered with fear.

"Not yet, but she needs water. And she needs medicine, but Vee knew more about that than I do. Her blood mother is a healer."

"I know some things. Vee taught me when we played." Song started crying again. "I wish Rok was here. Something must have happened to her."

Kia wiped the dust and sweat from her eyes and glanced into the moonlit night. "It's okay, don't cry. Rok's watching for other Zid hunters. I'm sure of it. We have to be stronger than ever right now. Keep your eyes open. Help me lift Stix so I can carry her on my back." Kia slid her arm through the blanket ropes tied around Stix's chest, then staggered to her feet with her injured sister's arms hanging over her shoulders. Leaning on the dirt mound covering her hearth sister, Kia choked back a sob.

"Goodbye, my love. You'll never be forgotten."

Song handed Kia a broken branch to use as a walking stick. Kia balanced on it and, together, they stepped into the brilliant Moonlight.

"Where are we going?"

"First we find Rok. Watch those shadows!" Kia snapped. She stumbled and Stix cried out. Kia rested, leaning on the branch before struggling down the trail.

"I don't think she likes me very much."

"What? Do you mean Rok? She loves you as much as she loves me – and as much as I love you."

"I'm scared of her."

"Yeah, so is everybody else in the village. She's a warrior like her hearth mothers." Kia stumbled, nearly dropping Stix. But didn't you hear her bonding promise? She pledged love and loyalty, and she's not the sort of fem who breaks a vow. I trust her with my life. And I love her."

Stix groaned. "But you love me more, don't you?"

"With my life and soul," Kia said softly. "Can you walk?"

"I don't think so. Don't let go."

Rok appeared out of the darkness and lifted Stix by an arm. "This way. And be quiet. The Zid can hear you all the way to the Forbidden Mountain."

"Let them come. We'll fight them all," Kia growled. "I got the other one just before it had me for dinner." She shuddered at the memory. "Where did you go?"