Day 3: Namsan Tower

Start from the beginning

"Maybe you need a girl who's not weak-minded," I said. "Someone who tries to understand your situation rather than run away from it."

I remembered the countless guys who ran the other direction as soon as they found out exactly who I was. Bunch of cats (yes, I mean the other term but I wanna keep it PG).

"Someone who's not easily intimated by your family – or background – or the fact that you can beat their butts in taekwondo. Someone who knows you have duties and responsibilities, and still don't demand so much from you." I sighed, pouting. "Someone who won't be afraid to face your father, no matter how terrifying he may seem. Someone who can protect you – even if it's from yourself. Someone who just gets it," I added, looking up to meet his eyes.

I blinked, taken aback by the way he was looking at me. It was intense. I practically felt like melting on my seat. Why did I suddenly feel hot?

Oops. "Sorry, I got carried away."

"No." He shook his head. "It's spot on actually."

"It's just . . ." I paused, lowering my head. "I can relate."

His gaze stayed on me for a moment more, before he nodded a bit with a small smile playing on his lips. I almost asked him what was on his mind.

"No boyfriend, huh?" When I didn't say anything and pretended to be interested on my food, he continued, "If you had, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd be too busy adding a lock over there with him." He nodded to the mountain of locks by the viewing deck.

Looks like I'm not the only one fishing.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked sarcastically.

He shook his head in amusement. My eyes wandered to the couples busy writing on their locks and smiling lovingly at their other halfs. Eek.

But really, what did I expect? Namsan Tower, also known as N. Seoul Tower, was more widely known for the love locks couples placed on the railings around the area. I wanted to come here for the view of the whole of Seoul. But for others, it was different.

"How do you know if it's the right person?" I asked quietly, to no one in particular. "For all you know, you're just adding another trash to the mountain of locks there."

I watched as one guy gave his girl a forehead kiss.

"You just do."

I turned back to Jin Yeong. His posture was laid-back, but his gaze was intense again. I couldn't move in my seat – like he was holding me here, which was ridiculous but also the truth.

"What if . . ." I swallowed the lump in my throat and continued, "What if you happen to meet that person, but you both know it wouldn't last? How will you be able to let go?"

"I won't."

"You won't . . . let go?"

"Why would I let go of something that rare?"

"Maybe it's not the right time."

He tilted his head, and smiled crookedly. "That's the funny thing about fate, there's no such thing as wrong timing."

Whoa. That is so deep I almost rolled with Adele.

"But that's just me," he quickly added, leaning forward to grab his glass of iced tea.

I studied him. "Do you still go to school?"

"Oh," he nodded. "Sungkyunkwan University."

My jaw dropped. "Wah, sugoi – I mean, daebak."