The Promise

THE Promise

I've always loved reading books. Poems, plays, anecdotes, classic literature, modern publications... I love them all. Since I was a child, my home had been my father's library and the library at school. I'm not antisocial, but I spend my spare time reading. Since then, it has become a habit, a part of my character.

Isn't it exciting? Learning the world through words.

"Yani, can you come with me later?"

"No," I turned down her invitation. "I plan to finish the book I'm into this afternoon."

"Oh, come on. Can't you save an hour, please? I don't wanna go alone." Sweden put her hands like a prayer and looked at me with pleading eyes. Apparently, I knew what she wanted and I know it is going to be a waste of time.

"I can't. We have homework and I don't want to sleep late."

"Guess I'm going to ask someone." Sweden walked away from me. I opened my book to the page where the bookmark had been. "Wait, Yani!" I knew she would return. "I'll show you to some awesome library. Just go with me!"

I peeked at her. "How can I know that you're telling the truth?" I asked suspiciously.

"I asked my big bro." Sweden rummaged through her bag. "Here, a pic." She showed me a library that I have never gone through before. I was pretty sure that I went to every single one in the city.

Darn, she tricked me. "Where's this?"

"I'll tell you more about it... if you go with me."

I sighed. I wish her brother is my friend instead of this blackmailing girl. "Okay. One hour."

"No way. I'll have your whole afternoon!" she retorted.

I thought of the consequences of my decision. It would disrupt my schedule for later, but it's not that bad, I think. "Until 8pm."

Sweden and I went to a live show. She shrieked I think every second her favorite artist sings. I don't really like these kinds of activities. It's uninteresting and I can't even read.

It's boring me to death.

Sweden and I have been friends for years. Although our interests clashed, we still got along. She did well in her studies, despite the love for rock artists. "This weekend, go to this place." She gave me a map. "Columb already informed the people there, so show them that pass and they'll let you in."

"You're not going with me?" I check my map application; the place was hours away from here.

"Well, duh. Books bore me to death." She took the words right out of my mouth. "Give thanks to your sister. She had my CD signed." And maybe one of the reasons we stick together is because our siblings share the interest as each of us do.

Also, those two are currently going out.

"Okay." I don't want to read with her there. She's only going to complain. I got permission from my parents to have the car, and went out as early as 5AM for the four-hour ride. Apparently, traffic jams happen as soon as six o'clock, so it was better to start early. Driving has always been one of the activities I hate. The road needed my priority, so I don't even have the option of listening to audiobooks.

I arrived at the place by 10AM. I got a little bit lost because the library was quite hidden in the woods. Sweden did mention that the library had some history, but I never realized it was a mansion!