Chapter Eleven

Cameron and the girls joined us a while later and Jacqueline allowed us use her phone to call home. Mum wept with joy when she heard my voice but immediately started yelling at me for being irresponsible. Gerry snatched the phone and promised to break every bone in Jacqueline's body if she hurt her son. Cam managed to calm them both but mentioned that Jacqueline was nice, that she'd even baked us cookies. This prompted another shout fest and mum promised to feed Jacqueline her own entrails if she'd poisoned her boys. After we calmed them, we assured them we were fine. Mum and Gerry decided to drive down to escort us home and give Jacqueline a piece of their mind. Jacqueline just yelled 'bring it on' when she heard that part on speaker.

While I updated Cam on my discussion with Jacqueline, she talked to her daughters. Every few minutes, one of them would shout; Cam and I spent the better part of the day running interference. By late afternoon, the girls were more tolerant of their mother and vowed all will be forgiven if she unbound them. Jacqueline stormed out of the room angrily, slamming the door so hard that the hinges rattled. Cameron immediately went to sit with the girls and I looked up in silent meditation. A minute later, I felt someone slide into the sit beside me.

"It's so easy for them." A husky voice whispered. I looked down and was surprised to see Belle beside me. I followed her gaze to her sister who was laughing at something Cam said.
"I guess" I replied. I found myself tongue tied around her.
"You'll think they've known each other all their lives."
"They're soul mates." I explained
"Like we are?" She asked with an indulging tone.
"I get that you don't believe in soul mates but its true." I said with a frown.
"Relax, I'm not insulting your intelligence. I'm just pointing out the fact that Sherry is predisposed to his charms because she believes they are soul mates."
"You think he's charming?" I ask jealously and she just smiled. The door bell began ringing continuously.
"Hold on" Jacqueline yelled from somewhere in the house.

"Where are they?" Gerry's frantic voice asked.
"They better be alright" mum said
"I haven't turned them into toads yet" Jacqueline taunted. "I merely gave them sleeping potions" mum and Gerry gasped and I rushed into the hall, Cam behind me.
"We're fine" I yell and they both turned. After physically appraising us, they alternated between hugging and smacking us. I smiled fondly at their childish antics.
"Don't ever do this again!" Gerry cried
"We almost died from worry"  Mum said "You've given me gray hairs"
"Sorry" I squeaked out as my mum continued pelting me with ineffective blows while she cried. I pulled her into my arms and let her cry.
"Told you he'd be nothing but pain!" Jacqueline said smugly, her arms crossed over her chest. Mum lunged at her and I had to hold her tightly to keep her from attacking Jacqueline.
"Mum, it's not worth it" I say to her. Jacqueline just cackled and walked away, hips swaying provocatively. It seemed her beast was reserved for mum's presence.

We followed her to the den and she sat on a throne-like chair, a haughty expression on her face. Mum pulled me to the farthest loveseat from her. When her daughters sat down, Jacqueline leaned into the chair and appraised mum.
"Why does my mum hate your aunt?" Sherry whispered to Cameron.
"Tell you later" he whispered back. Gerry frowned at this exchange and I had to smile. She was feeling what Cam felt when she met Bass.
"Who knew Charlotte Deveraux would someday need my help" Jacqueline said smugly.
"Mum" I warned softly as I felt her tense besides me. The last thing I wanted was for her to get into a cat fight.
"Will you help us" mum said with as much pride as she could muster.
"Of course!" Jacqueline smiled evilly.
"But you..." I started to say but she cut me off.
"For a price" Jacqueline said
"If it is within reason, we will do our best" Gerry said when it was obvious mum would refuse. Mum glared at her and she glared back.
"What do you want?" Cam asked. I caught Jacqueline's eye and she winked. I realized then she had played me...
"I want to blood my girls" Jacqueline began, "we were fine until you boys showed up and ruined our perfect lives. Now I must unbound them or 'suffer the consequences'" She said mockingly. I assume one of the girls said that to her.
"What's is it to us?" Mum asked carefully
"Since it's your fault, it's only fair you help with the blooding ritual"
"No" mum said as Cameron said "yes"
"What's a blooding ritual?"Sherry asked
"Why blood them?" Gerry asked. "Don't tell me you bound your own daughters!"

Jacqueline eyed her without replying and I sighed. I quickly narrated what had happened since Cam and I arrived. For some reason, I left out the part about needing my father's blood. I didn't want any more trouble between mum and Jacqueline.
"So why do you need us" Gerry asked, for a fleeting second, Jacqueline looked uncomfortable and mum gasped.
"A binding requires a sacrifice, usually of someone close. A blooding requires another sacrifice, also someone close. If you're asking me to kill you, I'm in!" Mum said. Jacqueline grinned wickedly.
"I never knew you were so blood thirsty Charlotte" mum blushed. "I'm not asking you to kill me. There's another way to do a blooding, a circle gives a drop of their blood and say the incantations on a full moon. Tonight's a full moon.". She finished.
"What's the catch" Belle asked to my surprise. Her mother glared at her.
"I need three more people to form a circle." Jacqueline said. She pointed to mum, Gerry and Cam. "Three of you will join my circle. The girls automatically become part of the circle."
"No way. I'm not forming a circle with you." Mum said emphatically
"What's a circle" Sherry asked
"It's a mini coven. Can comprise of any Odda" Cameron explained.
"A circle must stay close to each other, and at least two of them must meet daily so the circle doesn't weaken. Forming a circle makes Odda stronger, as long as they are together" I explained
"Thanks professor" Jacqueline said sarcastically. "I can always find others, but who will help you?"

I could see the moment mum agreed because her shoulders dropped in defeat. Jacqueline smiled her Cheshire smile and examined her nails while Cam and the girls stared. I knew that Jacqueline was my only hope but I didn't know was why she'd want to be close to mum when they obviously hated each other.
"You better not be playing us" Gerry said
"We'll do it" mum whispered. I expected Jacqueline to be smug, but though she smiled, I could see that it was a relieved smile. It made me wonder...