Chapter 3

"It appears you're wanted" I spoke as Mason glanced between the both of us, "I'm sorry," he began in response. "Go" I told him before he could say anything else. "I'll be back in a moment" He said as he walked past and into the direction of the doorway, I kept my gaze on him for a moment and watched him walk around the corner, and join the man who seemed to know him. I had begun to turn my attention towards them both, as I could see the look of concern and growing frustration. I had found myself beginning to focus on their conversation, and slowly the voices grew louder and clearer. "We have a problem; Charlie just called, he was out on duty and found himself in a group of people and police. An old apartment in the rough end of town had been broken into, it looks like there had been a fight."

My attention had perked and started to create a swirl of emotion that wasn't completely me, I had snapped out of my daze and turned towards the owner of the bakery. "Is there a back door?" I asked and began to walk towards him. He had nodded quickly in response and raised his hand, pointing into the direction I needed to go into. "Through the back miss" I had walked a little further before turning and taking the left exit, I walked through the back old, dusty rooms with only one intention. I had slipped through the small groups of staff dressed in white, and stopped for a moment as I reached the open doorway. I thought about looking back in hope I would go against my instincts, but instead I continued to walk through the doorway and into an open alleyway.

I could feel the warmth from the setting sun and the wind begin to pick up, I turned to my right and continued to walk as I could feel the swirling storm of emotions begin to rage. It was like I could hear almost every sound around me clashing and ringing through my ears. My emotions had a knock-on effect with everything within me and I knew it would only get worse, I had continued to walk through the streets of New Orleans in hopes I would be there in time. I slipped through alleyways and shortcuts in order to avoid Mason, and his friend from seeing me. I didn't waste time in pushing open the door to our building and walking through, the halls were as quiet as a winters night but I still refused to let my guard down. Quietly, I walked through and stood against the wall to our apartment, I glanced round and could see a black shadow moving across the ground. I knew that it wouldn't be Nova as she knew better then to stay where she wasn't safe, I slipped through the demolished doorway and shortly found myself stopping dead, in my tracks.

"You need to be more careful" I knew that voice, it sounded so familiar I thought with a slight frown. I had glanced up and could see he had slowly begun to turn around, in that very moment I started to piece the puzzle together. His blue eyes, his blonde hair, his smile, they were all the few things that I could remember vividly. I had taken a slight step backwards as floods of old memories took their place, he had caught my gaze and that's when I had decided to speak up. "Where's Nova?" He had shaken his head at my choice in to ignore his first comment, he had sighed to begin with but opened his mouth to speak. "It's not exactly looking great for her," he had motioned to the chaos that surrounded us. "I told you both to be careful and to stay hidden" He had taken a few steps towards me as he had spoken but all I did was take a few more backwards, Nova and I had known this man since we were children. His name is Charlie and he was my fathers doctor.

"You think I had something to do with this, don't you?" I had stayed quiet and looked back at him keeping his gaze, I couldn't trust him when I knew too much about him and what he did. He was just as dangerous as I was- am. "Emily, please?" He added in disbelief. "What do you expect?" I questioned and took a step forward as I felt the confidence grow, he did nothing for almost a split second and shook his head. "I'm not that person anymore" I could see he was trying to defend himself but I was brought up not to trust anyone or their word. "Don't make me ask again" I said in referral to Nova.

He had looked disheartened and hurt at the thought of his past and how he knew the two girls, he had sighed and nodded in response as he spoke up. "It looks like it could have been them, but I'm not sure. It's been ten years since I've been free" I had frowned a little at his words and wondered if he could be telling the truth. "You left when we did?" I questioned with a frown as I could feel myself grow more belief for his words, I watched him nod in response as he had turned to the kitchen counter, and picked up a brown file with 'TOP SECRET' printed in blood red across the front. "Of course, I did," He spoke and walked towards me, we were stood with a small distance between us. "but there's more to this then you'll ever realise, and if you really want to pull at these strings to find Nova, you need to know the truth about Project Alpha" I glanced between Charlie and the file and watched as he slowly begun to raise his hand into my direction, it took me a moment to take that step forward and take the file from his hand.

I didn't know what he wanted in return or if he really didn't have anything to do with this, but I had to have some sort of faith in him to have taken this file. "Why help me now?" I asked as I didn't much move from my position, he had smiled a little and before looking back at me and saying, "I've always known that you and Nova were living in town, you've been here a year and a half and if I had something to do with Nova's disappearance, or if I was still working with them I wouldn't have stayed behind, and I sure wouldn't have given you that file. I would have taken you both a lot sooner than this and part of you knows that, I've known you since you were a baby Emily and I'm just trying to make up for the past" I had looked directly at him as I listened to what he had to say and I said, "Nothing can make up for what you did" in response to his words. He knew every part of my life and it was something I could never escape from; he knew the good and the bad and held so much control and power, over what we did.

"Why us?" I asked as I watched him walk around the broken furniture and pick up one of the two wooden chairs left usable, he had stood them upright followed by the table. "Nova didn't really have anything to do with the choice in you," he began and took a seat in one of the chairs, he had motioned to the other one across from him but I did not move. "You were the best of the best mentally; you were the strongest and did what was right by your friends, that's why you were chosen and Project Alpha was moulded around you. We needed those prospects to be reshaped so you were loyal to us" As he continued to speak, he sounded more like the doctor, and how he would explain the missions to us when we were children. I had taken a breath to process his reasons and he had begun to explain things further. "It stuck to you in ways we could never have imagined, we documented every little detail about you and what you are and that, is what is in that file" I was made to feel nothing but to remember every little detail in what I did, I could picture every body, every soul that I had met in my life, and how they looked at me with fear but I had nothing but one question in mind. I turned my full attention towards Charlie and asked, "Is it over?" He had smiled sadly and shook his head in response to her question, he sighed and said. "It'll never be truly over, all it takes is one person to change your fate and, in this case, they want you to come home"