Chapter 1

I could hear something coming and I turned my attention towards the doorway, I had heard the footsteps stop and a heartbeat slowly beating. I had taken a slight step backwards just seconds before a slight knock came upon the oak door, I watched the rusted silver door handle twist and begin to open. I had found myself slowly enter a slight daze as the sound of the click rang through my ears. "Hey, it's just me" The sound of a soft voice snapped me out of it, I lifted my gaze and smiled a little as I saw who it was. "Nova" I replied. "It's been four years; they would have come if they knew we were alive" She spoke with slight concern as she tried to reassure me that I had no need to worry. I had watched her for a moment as she walked around the old fabric sofa and into the kitchen, she had put down the brown paper bags and turned her attention back into my direction. "Have you thought anymore on the idea of going to the prince?" She questioned and frowned a little.

"Just because they haven't acted, doesn't mean anything" I replied and looked over at her ignoring her comment to see the prince. "Don't ignore me" She had shaken her head a little in bafflement as to why I wouldn't let anyone help us, but it had always been us, the two of us. "What could the prince possibly do?" I questioned as she walked towards the dark oak table and took the seat opposite. "He could help us end this- them" She had so much hope in her bronze brown eyes, but this would never really end, it would only take one soul who has evil intent to reignite the flame. "And yet, we're the only ones who know he exists" I said and shook my head as I sat back in my chair, I had caught her gaze and she had said nothing in response until a few moments later. "I understand that it's always been us but we need, help-" I had cut her off and turned my complete attention towards her and said, "We're not completely human Nova" that was my reason for not agreeing.

Nova was my oldest friend and we had been through so much together; we've been friends since childhood, and always seemed to save each other. It led to a spark of hope of us surviving and as I watched her every move for a moment, I could see it begin to dull. She had gotten up from her seat and turned her attention back to the bags, she had begun to unpack the basics of what we needed. "I'm sorry Nova," I began and heard her sigh in response before speaking up, "For what?" and turning her gaze towards me. "For not agreeing with you" She had smiled slightly in response and turned back to what she was originally doing, Nova was never one for confrontation, she would always try and avoid it which made her childhood difficult for her. I would have to defend and protect her from the other two kids that grew up with us, she couldn't remember much from it and I was thankful for that.

I had watched Nova walk into the back room and in that moment, I stood and slipped through the front door and walked through the old, dull narrow hallway. The sound of televisions and people's conversations rang though my ears, like an old broken alarm clock. I walked around the corner and towards the dirty white, marked door, it had been a few weeks since I felt the sunrays or even the wind. I had walked right up to the door and pushed it open, stepping through into the outside world.

The castle was beautiful, it stood golden and in all it's might, it and its grounds spread for miles and was well hidden from the human eye. The prince who had taken residents lived there with his closest friend Danny; he was the only one who knew the true identity of the prince, or so they thought. He had seemed to hide it from the world after the incident that happened in his own home, the prince had closed the castle gates completely closing off to the world. The prince had found himself walking through the city of New Orleans, it wasn't a big city but it was home. He would glance back behind himself every now and then with a feeling, as if he had seen someone he used to know. "Are you alright?" The sound of Danny's voice broke his daze of confusion, "I'm fine," He began in reply and turned his gaze and attention back to his friend. "I just thought I saw someone I used to know"

"Is this about the letters again?" Danny asked as he crossed his arms over his chest, "You need to stop with this Mason" he was the one person Mason never thought would stand against him, he meant everything to him and was thankful for what he had done for him but this caused so much disbelief. "No, I won't stop looking for her. Are you really going to stand against me?" Mason questioned in slight sadness and felt his trust for Danny break as he nodded his head. "Yeah"

"I just-" Mason cut himself off as he shook his head and walked past his best friend, leaving him in the middle of the street. He walked the long way round to his favourite store, and stopped outside of it. Its entire framing was painted green with golden stickers on the windows, on the left it read 'Bread and Biscuits' and on the right, it read 'Freshly Baked'. Above the windows grew pink and white roses in memory of his mother, they grew along the framing and had started to grow down the window on the right.

A small smile played on Mason's lips at the thought of her, she was the life within the castle walls and now it seems so dull. He had walked towards the door and pushed it open with his hand, the ring of the bell above the door made the baker look up and smile softly. "Mason!" He exclaimed, "How are you?" He asked, his Italian accent peaked through his every word. "Milo, it's been a long time" Mason replied and walked around the counter that bent around to the right, its colour of grey and white was as bright as the day it was painted. The fairy lights that hung from above between lanterns, reflected their light to every corner of the shop, Mason had glanced around and could see nothing had changed. The same golden carved picture frames still hung against the white walls, with the oak table tops under them. "What is the matter?" Mason snapped out of his daze as the sound of Milo's voice could be heard, he had smiled slightly as he listened to his words. "You only come here when there's an issue"

"I don't know what to do about Danny" He said and sighed in disappointment and looked over at Milo. "He's standing against me in what I wish to do" He added and watched as Milo had sighed and stood opposite him, on the other side of the counter. "You and Danny have been friends for as long as I can remember, but if he can't support you in what you choose to do, is he really your friend?" Milo asked as he picked up a cloth to clean the few cups on the counter top, he had turned his gaze back to Mason and although he could see Mason's hesitation, he knew he would take his words wisely. "Did you receive any today?" Mason shifted his gaze over to Milo and shook his head. "I haven't heard from her in over two weeks" He replied and frowned; he had grown quite fond of the girl he had been writing to, they could talk about anything and it would last for days. He had found it a little strange to fall for someone through nothing but words and a picture. "I'm sure there's a reason for it Mason, you've been writing letters to each other for four years. I'm sure she wouldn't just stop sending them" Milo said and smiled a little in hopes to reassure Mason, he didn't know the entire story but had heard enough to know how he truly felt. Part of him could understand Danny's hesitation on letting his best friend go through this journey, but it's not a crime to love what you cannot explain. "Now, are you eating or did you just want to talk?" He added and watched the slight smile form on Mason's features, he had nodded his head a little and began to speak up. "Just the usual"

Mason had shortly sat himself down at the counter as Milo walked away to one of the counters. On the left side of the room was a long, glass casing with three different levels and the entire top was his parents favourite treats. His mother owned this store and ran it herself before she died, she wasn't known as the Queen of New Orleans but Naomi. The sound of the bell above the door rang as the door was pushed open, followed by the sound of heels filled the air around him. He watched Milo glance up and look over and behind Mason. "I'll be with you in a moment Miss" He said and smiled softly before turning back to the counter, he had placed a gingerbread man on a plate and walked back to Mason. Once he had put the plate in front of him, he turned to his next customer. "What can I do for you?" He asked and once again, smiled softly. "I have a pick up for Nova" As Mason lifted his gaze, he had found himself beginning to stand without entirely moving his focus from the girl standing before him.

"Emily?" I lifted my gaze as I heard someone call my name in question, the voice sounded confused and a little saddened. Almost instantly I looked over into the direction of the voice, and could see a man who looked as if he had seen a ghost. I had smiled softly in response as I looked back at him, I knew exactly who he was. I'd know his blue eyes anywhere. "Hello love"