Chapter 18

"What do you mean you have no story?" Perry asked me on my first day back at work after the whole arctic, alien, superhero craziness.

"I didn't see anything. I was asleep. It had been a long trip. By the time someone came and woke me up to tell me what was going on, it was all over. I really didn't see anything." Way to go Lauren. Make it up as you go along.

"You expect me to believe that a spaceship came bursting out of a mountain side making all kinds of noise and you weren't aware of any of it?" Wow, he was not happy.

"What can I say? I'm a heavy sleeper."

I'd worked for Perry White at the Daily Planet long enough to know that I was rumbled. He knew I was hiding something. He knew I was lying to him. On the flip side he also knew how stubborn I was, and if I didn't want to reveal anything, he was aware there was nothing he could say or do that would make me talk.

"So let's say you're telling me the truth, which I know you're not by the way. That still doesn't explain how you were missing when everyone at the site was accounted for the following morning."

"Ummmm, I can explain that..."

"So go ahead," he yelled. He was seriously getting a kick out of this. He was trying to break me. It would never happen.

"The person that came to wake me, Joe his name was. He moved us to safety. He was worried that there might be falling rock or something. He ummmmm got us into one of the helicopters that were being flown away from the debris. There was me, Joe and a couple of people flying the helicopter."

"Interesting. This Joe sounds like a bit of a hero. What were the names of the pilots?"

"I don't know. I only knew his name because he'd helped me with my bags earlier in the day. He's probably missing of off the list as well. I was half asleep. I kind of just ran with it."

What kind of nonsense was I speaking? I was a journalist for the biggest newspaper in the city and that was the best I could come up with. Even a 5 year old wouldn't have believed it.

"Look Lauren, I know something went on out there and I know that you are completely aware of what that is. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't fire you right now?"

"Because you trust me, you always have. I need you to trust me now and not ask questions. Please Perry, just let this go."

"This could be the biggest story the paper has even seen Lauren. It could be your shining moment."

"Even if there was a story, even if I knew more than I say I do, do you really think you can print it? Alien space craft Perry, really? The Pentagon are denying there even was a ship. There's no proof. We couldn't run it even if we wanted to." Yes, and this is why I'm a reporter. I can twist anything so it goes my way. It was looking shaky for a minute there.

Perry just looked at me for a couple of minutes, pacing back and forth behind his desk as he did so. He knew I was right. The Planet was a reputable paper. We didn't run anything unless we had substantial evidence to back it up. We had nothing. Every single person that was on that site is denying any knowledge. This worked out in my favour. I might actually get away with it.

"Two weeks suspension and no pay. As far as the rest of the team are concerned I sent you on a story, which cost a lot of money and you came back with nothing. I have to show that I can't let my reporters get off easy. Even you."

"I wouldn't expect anything else. Thanks Perry. Thank you for trusting me with this."

"Don't make me regret it."

Well seeing as I had two weeks off work I figured there was only one place I should be. No prizes for guessing that place was Smallville. I hadn't seen Clark since he flew me into my apartment 4 days ago now. My god, flew. I still can't get my head around it.