Merthur - Fanfiction - Merlin Falls Ill

"Rise and shine," Merlin mumbled, as he pulled open the thick velvet curtains that hung heavy in Arthur's chambers. Arthur sleepily rolled over and glanced at his servant, surprised that Merlin hadn't come out with any humorous insults to start his day.

"Merlin?" Arthur asked, "are you alright?"

Merlin looked up from the goblet which he was filling, and with less enthusiasm that his 'rise and shine' wake up call, he simply said, "I'm fine."

Arthur wasn't convinced by this at all. He could always tell when there was something wrong with Merlin, and today, it was as if alarm bells were ringing out to him as a warning to keep a close and careful eye on the boy.

Merlin started towards Arthur's bed, with the goblet full to the top of wine. His hand was shaking, and the wine started to drip down his hand and onto the floor.

Arthur noticed this almost immediately and slowly got out of his bed, watching every single move that Merlin made with worry in his heart.

"Merlin," Arthur began, but didn't have time to finish his sentence, as the goblet Merlin held fell to the floor with a crash, wine spilling out all over the floor. Merlin instantly bent down to pick up the goblet, saying "I'm so sorry Arthur, I'm really sorry," over and over.

Instead of being angry, or shouting at Merlin, telling him how incompetent he was and that he could easily get another servant, Arthur calmly walked over to Merlin and picked up the goblet.

"You're not well." Arthur clearly stated.

"No, my lord, I'm fine. Just a mistake, I'm really sorry," Merlin gasped, clutching his stomach as if he was in pain.

"Merlin...?" Arthur crouched down next to his servant. "Merlin are you alright? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, sire, I-" Merlin struggled to his feet a little too fast, and the room started to spin. Merlin could vaguely hear Arthur's voice calling out to him in a panicked tone, but he couldn't make out what his words were.

Arthur didn't know what to do. He took a few steps towards the door, shouting loudly for his guards, when he heard a faint groan behind him.

"Arth-" Merlin began, once again unable to finish his sentence. His eyes rolled back slightly into his head, with only the whites of his eyes visible to Arthur. Arthur dashed forward and grabbed Merlins waist just as his servants legs failed to support him.

"GUARDS." Arthur cried out again, this time with two guards charging into his chambers, only to see their king on his knees on the floor, with his servant lying, crumpled and motionless, next to him.

"Send for Gaius!" Arthur shouted, tears pricking his eyes. He wasn't sure why he was crying for Merlin. If Merlin ever saw this, he knows he could be teased about it for weeks. The guards both ran out of the room, and Arthur almost cursed at himself for letting his voice crack right in front of them. He looked back down at the lifeless Merlin on the ground, and picked him up in his arms, resting his chin on the top of Merlin's head.

Almost five minutes past, when Gaius appeared at the door to Arthur's chambers.

Arthur quickly wiped at his face, and let one final tear fall into Merlin's dark hair, before it disappeared forever.

"What happened?" Gaius hurried down to where Merlin laid.

"I don't know," Arthur began, his voice threatening to crack and let the emotion out once again, "he just...collapsed..."

Gaius checked Merlin's temperature and pulse and then nodded.

"Have one of your guards carry him down to my chambers." Gaius said, turning towards the door.

When one of the guards stepped forward and leaned down to take Merlin away, Arthur pushed him off. It was a pathetic push, really. But the guard simply took a step backwards.

Arthur slipped one hand around Merlin's waist and tried to prop him upright, before taking his other hand and grabbing his legs.

The guards escorted Arthur down to Gaius' chambers, which were across the courtyard.

Arthur realised he was getting a lot of strange looks; both sympathetic and confused. He realised he was still in his nightclothes but didn't care. As he passed the Lady Morgana, she silently looked from the prince to the servant in his arms, and then down at the floor, and carried on walking.

When Arthur finally reached Gaius' chambers, he set Merlin down on the bed.

"Is he going to be okay?" Arthur asked, well aware of the concern in his voice.

"Yes, sire." Gaius replied. "You aught to come back in an hour, he should be awake by then."

Arthur glanced down at Merlin's vulnerable body, white as snow to look at and cold as death to touch. He turned around, making sure that Gaius wasn't to see what he was doing. Then, he turned back to Merlin, and leant down. He pressed a kiss onto the top of Merlin's forehead, another tear escaping his eye. He was shocked at how cold Merlin's head was against his warm lips, and closed his eyes, drawing back. Silently, Arthur left the room.