Chapter 5 - Blue Eyes

Comincia dall'inizio

“Evelyn, you know you can tell me anything and I will never be mad. I will understand and I will be on your side even when I know you’re wrong dear. You’re my daughter and forever will be everything to me, please.” My mom sounded worried and I knew now that she needed to know and that I shouldn’t be afraid.

I sat up so she would know this wasn’t short and she understood sitting up straight, taking my hands in hers.

This story would change her as it had changed me and I had to tell it right. 

I knew my mom would want details and she wouldn’t stop till I told her everything. She was a persistent person but I was like my dad, I went with the wind. Maybe if I had been more like her I wouldn’t have been so easy to fool. I wouldn’t have gone with Erica to all those parties and I wouldn’t have gone with Erica to that party. I wouldn’t have been through the worst night of my life.

“Come on sweetie, tell me.” She smiled 

“Mom this will be long and I don’t want you to interrupt, please.” My mom never interrupted me but this was more serious than a bad grade in math and I wanted to be sure she wouldn’t.

“You know I won’t.” I was glad she was my mom, she could listen to me better than anyone, just like my dad.

I took a deep breath hoping for the best and opened my mouth to speak.

“Yesterday I went to this party with Erica because she said if I went we wouldn’t go to another one so I said yes.”

“Erica went off to dance and there was this couch, empty, so I sat down there.” I took another deep breath, hoping and praying that I wouldn’t break down. My mom’s face was calm but I could see worry and curiosity in her eyes, she was waiting for the bad part but she wanted to show me she was strong, but I knew that through my paranoid and jittery voice that I was showing no calm, I was showing fear, I could feel it and so could she.

“I was there alone for some time but this guy came up to me and sat down. He started to talk to me but I wasn’t really up for conversation so I would answer him, hoping he would leave.” Another deep breath. I tried to mimic my mother and be calm and smooth but it wasn’t working one bit.

“There was only one thing he said that caught my attention and that was ‘Can I get you something to drink? There’s coke, it doesn’t have to be alcohol.’ and I was thirsty so I said yes.” My mom’s face was getting more worried now and losing its calm composure, creases were forming in her forehead and her eyes were furrowing in confusion, I knew what she wanted. She wanted to see where I was going with this.           

“He gave me the drink and I drank almost all of it, then he left to dance and said that if I changed my mind I should join him or something like that. I said sure when clearly I was going to stay on the couch and wait for Erica.” I thought of how staying there hadn’t worked out and my box rattled making a threat that I would break down. Please don’t.

I took another deep breath but this one was longer and deeper, more petrified than the ones before. It had seemed from the beginning of the talk that I would make it to this part of our conversation in a long time but know it seemed like in the blink of an eye I would have to tell the bad part.

“Then I started to -to feel a little, um, strange. My body was becoming numb and I had lost control of myself and it was confusing for me how I couldn’t move at all and how I was laying on the couch like- like paralyzed.”

I wasn’t looking at my mom anymore instead I was looking at my fingers and how I was viciously picking at them on my lap. 

“I- I felt some big arms around me and I thought it was Jacob to help but Jacob wasn’t even at the party and Dylan was dancing. Then my eyes c-closed and I was moving up, I opened them a little and saw stairs and people.” I took another deeper and slower breath and I wondered how my mom’s face must have been, surely she knew where I was going or had the slightest idea.