Outcasts {6}

“He’s far too innocent to be a part of such a cruel world, and it is,” my music sang as I walked through the hallway the next morning.

                I looked around for any sign of Josiah, but didn’t see him anywhere. Shrugging it off, I made my way to first period. Josiah was probably just running late.

                I sat down in my seat and began to pull out my books. My sight was cut off as someone covered my eyes with their hands.

                “Guess who!”

                “Hi Lea,” I said, cracking a small smile.

                She pulled her hands away and sat down next to me. “I still can’t get over how amazing last night was! I can’t wait to tell the Pavluk brothers!” she squealed.

                “Hey, have you seen Josiah today? I tried to find him this morning, but I didn’t see him anywhere,” I said with a frown.

                “Really? I saw him wandering around the freshman hallway today,” she said. “He might have been looking for Jimm.”

                I nodded. “Yea, probably,” I said.

                I sighed. “Hey Lea, uh, is Raven promiscuous?” I asked.

                Lea’s expression darkened a little and she nodded. “Extremely. Why?”

                “Oh, uh, just wondering,” I said, mentally groaning. I really didn’t feel like getting stalked by some crazy girl.

                The bell rang and we fell into silence as we took notes. When the bell rang to end the period, I waved to Lea and went to my second period class. I took my seat next to Josiah.

                “Hey,” I greeted.

                “Hey,” he mumbled.

                “Are you okay?”

                He looked up at me and forced a smile. “Yea! I’m fine.”

                “You were acting kind of weird last night,” I said.

                “Yea, sorry about that,” he said with a small laugh. “But everything is fine, Jules. I promise!”

                “If you say so,” I said.

                We fell silent as class started. Something was definitely off about Josiah right now, but I didn’t know him well enough to say what it was.

                The bell rang and I got up, mentally sighing as I waved to Josiah and went to third period. I took my seat next to Chance.

                “Hi Jules!” he said excitedly.

                My eyes fell on his ear. “So, you were with Jimm recently, huh?”

                He pouted and rubbed his startlingly red ear. “Yea. Jimmy was a jerk this morning. All I did was chase a fly through the hallway!”

                “You like flies, don’t you?” I said.

                Chance looked up in surprise. “Did you say fly? Where? WHERE?”