Last Chapter

Another day at the job and John worked feverishly to finish the stack of files that had piled up so high it was nearly over the top of his cubicle. As John sat, he wondered why his boss never asked someone to file the papers while he was gone, but since he is back, John was determined to record every single one of the files. At lunch, John was about a little over halfway done with his filings and decided to head down to the breakroom to get lunch. As he walked into the room, he could see and hear his two mates David and Henry talking.

"Yeah, it's tragic... I wonder why the boss never replaced him?" David was saying, and John could tell they were talking about him.

"Hey, mates." John greeted as he walked over to the table with lunch.

It was if he had never even spoken a word as the boys continued with their conversation.

"You know. No one could ever replace old John... The man busted his butt around here." Henry replied as he took a bite of his salad.

"Guys. You're talking about me like I'm not even here!" John yelled angrily, and yet they still ignored him.

Angry, John tossed his lunch in the trash and went back to work. It was about thirty minutes until quitting time, and John had just a tiny stack of files left on his desk. With these, he went through them and read each one carefully. Each story was unique, and every homicide, tragic. With five minutes left on the clock, John had just gotten to the last file on the desk. He slowly opened the folder, and the sight within had him chilled down to the bone. His eyes quickly yet thoroughly scanned the files inside, and as he continued reading, his eyes grew. With shaky hands, he picked up his cell phone about to call Linda, but before he could press the first digit, she was calling him. He answered the phone and slowly raised it to his face.

"Linda." He called at the same time she was saying

"John."

"We all died from that," John said, glancing down at the files again.

"I know," Linda replied

"How?" He asked.

"I'm looking at our bodies."