Chapter 1

It was a typical day for John and his family, Daniel was at school, and he and his wife were at work. John sat at his desk, a stack of files laid out as he tried his best to file them all. He worked tirelessly, but to no avail, quitting time came, and he had yet to finish his filing. John left the building and drove the short distance to the hospital to pick up Linda, as she was getting off work herself. Together they went to their son's school to pick him up.

The school bell rang, and the kids all rushed out of the building, all going to the cars where their parents waited. Daniel came running out of the building, a smile plastered on his face and papers in his hands. He got into the car and immediately greeted his parents.

"Mom! Mom! I got a good mark on my paper." He exclaimed as he practically shoved the papers in her face.

Linda let out a chuckle as she took the papers from his hands and studied them.

"Look at that, John," Linda said as she held the papers for him to see as well.

A smile made its way onto his face as he looked at the papers himself.

"I'm proud of you, fella," John said appreciatively as he messed his son's hair.

John pulled the car from the curb, and he decided to head to the ice cream stand to celebrate.

"Where are we going, John?" Linda asked curiously

"It's a surprise." He replied humorously.

Once they reached the ice cream stand, John ordered ice cream for the family before they all got back inside the car and proceeded on their way home.

"I can't believe you bought ice cream, John," Linda said exasperatedly.

"Why are you worrying, Linda? I'm celebrating my son's good marks." He retorted.

"You know we have bills coming up." She said.

"Mom! Dad!" Came Daniel's slightly frantic voice.

"Not now! Daniel." Linda barked.

"Why are you such an arse? I just wanted to do something for my boy!" John snapped, looking at his wife.

"Oh, I'm an arse, am I?!" She shouted back.

"Dad!" Daniel cried from the backseat.

"What Daniel!" He shouted as he looked to see what his son was talking about.

Daniel let out a screech as he pointed forward. The sound of a horn was blaring, and John snapped his attention forward, trying to swerve out of the way of the semi wheeler that was barreling towards them. To no avail, they were too late, and the truck rammed into their small car. Sirens blared, and lights flashed as the EMT's showed up on the scene and rushed to get the unconscious family help.