Chapter 2

“You can’t be his daughter, or Irene’s!”  John was pacing up and down the sitting room of 221B.  Alex sat in the client chair, answering his questions and Sherlock sat in his armchair in silence.

“I can and I am.” Replied Alex calmly, “I mean, it is possible.  I can draw you a diagram if you like.”  Sherlock sniggered.

“But Irene’s dead, she was beheaded by a terrorist cell six months after she ran away.”  John looked to Sherlock, “You knew right?”  Sherlock looked up.

“She’s not dead, I saved her.”

“You did more than that.” Murmured Alex.  John ignored the teenager.

“But Mycroft said-“

“Mycroft was tricked, after all, I was directly involved.” Interrupted Sherlock impatiently.  Sherlock seemed permanently in the state normal people were when queuing, thought Alex.

“Fine but… but… he can’t have a kid, he just can’t!  Who’d, I mean, he hasn’t… you know…” John awkwardly tried to articulate what most people thought about Sherlock.

“Well apparently he has.”  Alex gestured to her self, as an explanation, in a quick flick of the wrists.  Sherlock sniggered again.

“No he hasn’t.” Replied John firmly, then less sure, “Have you?”  All eyes went to Sherlock.

“Well… maybe… I…” He responded, momentarily flustered.

“Ok,” Interrupted Alex, she was slightly embarrassed, “I can prove it!”  Alex pulled out her IPhone, entered a very complex password then typed a quick message.  “Wait for it!”  There was a pause, then:

Ahhhhhhhhh.” Sherlock pulled out his phone.

“She’s your daughter Mr Holmes.” He read out, defeat in his voice.

“Look,” Alex held out her phone triumphantly, “I didn’t send that message, I just asked her to!  Ha!”  John collapsed into a chair, defeated.  “Come on Sherlock, you knew all along.  Just look at the turn-ups on my jeans.” Sherlock nodded.

“So why are you here now?” Asked John.

“Well done John, you asked a good question, at last.” Alex said patronisingly

“She’s here because the danger her mother and her have been running from all her life, presumable the terrorist cell, just came closer than ever before.  Irene thinks it’s become too dangerous for her so here she is.” Sherlock said it as if it was obvious.

“How did-“ John started.

“He read the directions mum texted me when I messaged her, he noticed my old jeans, I would have bought new ones if we’d stayed in an area long enough; he saw the outline of the knife I keep in my boots, which are worn from running, and saw the scar on my neck.” Explained Alex curtly, with a flick of the head when she finished to show that was obvious.

“Correct,” Confirmed Sherlock, “now if you’ll be on your way. John can call you a taxi if you want?”

“Sherlock you can’t just kick her out, she’s your daughter!” John was shocked, “India’s sometimes annoying, but I don’t just get rid of her!”  John was shocked.

“I can kick her out,” Replied Sherlock, “and I am.”

“I can’t go.” Alex was suddenly deadly serious, “Trust me, if I didn’t have to be here I wouldn’t be.  I have to stay, and that’s that.”

“Last time I checked, this was my home.” Sherlock stood-up and crossed the room to the girl.  He was much taller than her, but unlike most people, she did not seem belittled by him.

“Technically it’s Mrs Hudson’s home, you just rent it.” Sherlock was not impressed by Alex’s cheek.

“I’m busy, I don’t need some teenage girl hanging around.”

“I’m busy, I don’t need some old man hanging around.” Retorted Alex.

“Ok, ok,” Shouted John, “break it up ladies.  Sherlock - she has to stay.  Look, I don’t live here anymore, she can have my old room and we can send her to India’s school.  Ok?”  From Sherlock’s face, it didn’t look like it was ok.

“School?” Alex looked horrified.  John sighed.

“Just one thing at a time, ok.”