Sleepless Nights

The nights that followed Alyssa's relapse weren't easy. She'd lay awake in bed...thinking...She'd stay awake and wonder about different things. Why was she depressed? Why was she kidnapped as a baby? Why did she have fake friends?

The list went on and on. Alyssa would be up at 3 a.m, exhausted. She'd close her eyes, but sleep never took over her. One particular night, about 2 weeks after she moved in with her brother, Alyssa lay in bed. It was midnight and she was tired. However, she couldn't fall asleep. Alyssa stared at the ceiling and pondered the same things she'd think about before. She would close her eyes, but no sleep.

Alyssa turned and faced the wall. All she wanted was sleep. She heard her bedroom door softly open. Quiet footsteps walled over to the bed. Alyssa felt the bed slightly dip down when the newcomer sat down. "I know you're still awake," said Josh's voice.

Alyssa turned over to face Josh. He gave her a small smile. It looked to her that Josh hadn't been sleeping well either. Or was it a worried expression? "You can't sleep too?" Alyssa asked.

Josh shook his head. "Not exactly. I just know you haven't been sleeping so I've been staying awake in case you needed anything," He explained.

"How do you know I haven't been sleeping?"

"Well, according to Instagram, you were on it at 11 o'clock last Friday. That night, you went to bed at 9. Plus, I'll walk to my bedroom and hear you trying to get comfortable in bed at like 2 a.m," Josh stopped talking as Alyssa sat up, then he moved closer to her and asked, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Alyssa whispered, "I...I don't know,"

Josh understood. He leaned against the wall and Alyssa moved next to him. He wrapped her in a warm hug. "Tyler, Jenna and I love you...so much," Josh said.

Alyssa knew this, but she still felt like a burden to them. She loved them too. But for some reason, she felt...unwanted. Josh spoke again, "I'm always going to be here for you, sweetie. If you find it uncomfortable to talk to Jenna or even Tyler, you can talk to me if you want."

Looking up at Josh, Alyssa replied, "Thanks."

They were quiet for the next 10 minutes. Josh gently rubbed Alyssa's back. It was relaxing. She gazed out the window at the beautiful moon and stars. Then, she couldn't hold it back. She began to cry.

"Shh....shh...it's okay. I'm here," Josh muttered.

She cried into his shoulder and Josh hugged her tight. He talked in a calming voice, "Just let it out. It's okay."

He held her close until she wiped her tears. A wave of exhaustion flooded over Alyssa. Her eyes were red from crying and her left leg slightly shook up and down. She got under the covers and Josh sat on the floor beside her. Alyssa's eyes finally closed and she slept at last.

The following morning, Alyssa awoke around 8:30. Josh remained asleep on the floor. He stayed all night. He really does care. Alyssa thought. She stepped over him and picked out a purple shirt and black jeans and changed in the bathroom. She went down the stairs to the kitchen.

Jenna was flipping pancakes on the skillet. Tyler was emptying the dishwasher. "Need any help?" Alyssa wondered as she entered.

Jenna smiled and asked Alyssa to set the table. Alyssa got 4 plates and set them out. Next, she set out the utensils, napkins, and cups. "Anyone know where Josh is?" Tyler wondered.

Alyssa knew for sure. "I'll find him," She said, as she handed the butter to Jenna.

She went up the stairs again and returned to her room. Josh was still sleeping. She went up to him and poked his cheek. He grunted and rolled over. Alyssa laughed and said, "Wake up! Jenna is making pancakes and they're almost ready. I'll eat yours if you get up."

Josh immediately sat up and stared at Alyssa. "My pancakes!" He said as he ran out the room.

Alyssa laughed again as she followed him. She felt a lot better then last night. But would her happiness last? She hoped so.

(A/N HEY! Sorry for lack of updates. I had a little writer's block but I'm back!)