Fourth of July Part 1

God, bless America! Land that I love!

Alyssa groaned as she opened her eyes and stared at her ceiling. Tyler was walking down the hallway. His singing woke her up. I...need...MORE SLEEP! Alyssa thought. But she got up when she remembered that today was the Fourth of July! Josh had been visiting his family but he was coming over for a barbecue! Jenna, Tyler's wife, had been with her family too, but she was coming back today as well. Alyssa couldn't wait to see Josh again and finally meet Jenna!

She got out of bed and go dressed. Her outfit consisted of a red, short-sleeved shirt that said, "U.S.A," a pair of blue jeans, and her bracelets. Alyssa went into the bathroom and finished getting ready then headed down the stairs. Tyler and Madison were with Mom in the kitchen. "Good morning, sleepyhead!" Madison said as she poured herself a cup of orange juice.

Alyssa smiled and put some bread in the toaster. She got the butter from the refrigerator and asked, "So what's the plan for today?"

"Josh is coming around noon and Jenna will be here around 5. Dad will start the barbecue when she comes, before we go look at fireworks," Mom said.

"Dad and Jay went to go buy some! We're launching them tonight!" Tyler grinned.

Zack came down and wondered, "Alyssa, have you ever launched fireworks? It's a lot of fun!"

Alyssa had never launched them before. She couldn't wait for tonight!

Josh knocked on the door at 12 p.m sharp. Tyler had been scrolling through his Twitter and was telling Alyssa that she'd have to get a smartphone so she could have social media. When he heard the knock, Tyler flew off the couch with Alyssa right behind him. He opened the door and said, "HOI BEST FREN!"

Tyler tackled Josh in a hug and Alyssa leaned against the wall, laughing her head off. Josh invited her in the hug too. A group hug between the three of them lasted for about 30 seconds. It was the type of hug where you didn't want to let go of the other person. Or, people, in Alyssa's case.

Tyler led them to the couch and until Jenna arrived, the three of them talked about Taco Bell, cats, and anything random. When Jenna arrived, Josh smiled at Alyssa, "Are you ready to meet your sister-in-law?"

Alyssa nodded as Tyler opened the door and hugged his wife. "Come here. I want you to meet Alyssa," He said.

Jenna opened her arms and gave Alyssa a great hug. "It's awesome to finally meet you!" Jenna said.

"You too!" Alyssa replied.

After Jenna put her suitcase in the guest room, they went outback. Dad was heating up the grill while Madison set the table. Mom was cutting up some watermelon and Jay was throwing a football with Zack. Josh and Alyssa joined them. She could throw and catch, but Alyssa didn't know the rules to an official football game.

Zack threw the ball to Josh, quick as a bullet. Josh wasn't prepared for it to be thrown that fast. It hit him right in the stomach. He fell on his knees and leaned forward. His face hit the grass. "Are you okay," Alyssa asked in concern.

Alyssa, Jay, and Zack gathered around Josh. Josh groaned. But after a few seconds, he rolled over and...was LAUGHING! "I take that as a 'yes,' " Alyssa said.

Tyler, who had been sitting on the table on the other side of the backyard, threw his head back and began laughing so hard that he nearly cried. The rest of the time was like that. Every once in a while, someone would get hit by the ball, but they were never mad. It was all fun and games. When Dad called everyone to the table, Jay threw the ball behind him and it landed in a tree.

Alyssa sat between Josh and Madison, across from Tyler and Jenna. She got two hot dogs and put ketchup on the both of them. She took some chips and filled half her plate with salsa. Alyssa added some watermelon to the side of her plate and a Coke next to it. BOOM! Best Fourth of July dinner ever!

Mom said, "After we clean up dinner, we'll go watch some fireworks and launch some ourselves. Are you excited?"

Alyssa smiled. Of course she was excited! This would be the first time she'd light fireworks and she'd be doing it with the people she loved.

(A/N Happy Fourth of July! Part 2 is coming later today! Alyssa is going to light fireworks! AND hear an awesome suprise!)