Band Camp Update: Part 1-Music and Marching Week

So, Music and Marching Week is now over, meaning that Band Camp (and Marching Indians 2016) have officially BEGUN!

Naturally, like any band event, there are gonna be some hilarious occurrences. It's like the band version of Murphy's Law. Unfortunately, nothing big enough for a chapter has happened yet, so here's some mini-things that have happened.

Rules of Band Camp

1. Try your hardest
2. Memorize your music
3. Drink ALL the water
4. For the love of God, if you start seeing black, JUST SIT DOWN! Goodness!

Pokemon Go

Pokemon Go has been out for, what, two weeks now, and it is blowing up. So, naturally when you're around as big of nerds as band kids are, Pokemon Go is a fact of life. Almost everyone has been playing it during lunch, breaks, and (if they find a rare capture) after breaks are over. It's getting to the point where "Sorry I'm late for basics, there was a Bulbasaur in the band room" is an acceptable excuse.

*Legal note: I do not endorse you using this as an excuse to get out of basics*

My favorite story has to be from Monday, when, after lunch, the newbies got ready for basics. All the newbies got in a circle around Ms. Flake (who, in case you're not caught up, is our band director), who was playing Pokemon Go (because of course she was). All of a sudden, she pretended to throw her phone onto the pavement and yelled, "Stupid Squirtle!"

And then we started marching like nothing had ever happened.

*Author's note: while writing this, my autocorrect kept correcting "Pokemon" to "Philemon". While I have researched it and found that it is a biblical term, I couldn't help imagining a Pokemon battle with balding, middle-aged guy named Phil.*

Construction Complications

Dear School Board,

You need to get better scheduling skills.

Respectfully,                  
Middle Voices section

There has been roof work at our high school. All week. Despite the fact that it is not only cooler in June, but also that the school is completely abandoned then. Let me inform you as to why this sucks.

During sectionals on Monday, one of the construction workers dropped a rock about two feet from our heads. One of the saxophones then used it to hold down his music.

On Wednesday during sectionals, insulation started falling down like really weird snow (and, yes, that can't be healthy). We had to move twice before we got away from it. That is precisely two more times than we should have to move.

Later on Wednesday, we were all in the band room, and Ms. Flake was explaining something at the same time the construction workers decided that they needed to use their jackhammer. It's like those movies where some loud thing happens when a character starts too cuss, except she wasn't saying anything inappropriate.

A half hour later, the workers poured rubber cement on the roof and we all got slightly high.

Moving on...

The Best Joke of Music Week

Andrew: I heard some of the deer around here can jump higher than a house.

Allyson: Really?

Andrew: Yeah, houses don't have legs.

*Air horns and applause*

Allyson:*sighs*

Tan Lines We're Getting (in order of weirdness)

Sock tan
Farmer's tan
Watch tan
Sunglasses tan
Neckstrap tan

🎼🎵🎼

That's all I have for now, but I'll be back next week (if I don't die of heatstroke) to tell you guys all about drill week. Until then, please vote, share, and follow me for more of this stuff! And of course, remember to stay beautiful!