I Can Live With It [17]

Start from the beginning

Emily keeps her smile bright as Chase wipes his forehead dramatically with the back of his hand in relief. I meet his eyes and giggle as he winks at me cheekily. I finally look to Eliot. His expression is hard to read. 

"You can live with it?" I nod smiling softly at him. 

"But-" I hear an exaggerated groan from Chase and roll my eyes.

"That's never a good word." He grumbles and slumps back into his seat next to Emily.

"But I don't want any more secrets. I want to know everything about werewolves and your history with Jack. I don't want to be kept in the dark with anything just because I'm a pregnant human OK? I'm not that delicate."

"Ha! Your reaction last night says otherwise." I narrow my eyes at Chase.

"Shut up." 

Eliot finally cracks a small smile and relaxes in his seat. 

"You want some breakfast?" Emily asks me.

"Please." 

I move to sit next to Eliot, not missing the huge smile that Emily produces as she stares at us both. I give her a pointed look to which she giggles before leaving the table to get me a plate of food. I turn my attention to Eliot and nudge him softly with my elbow. His piercing blue eyes capture mine instantly.

"I'm fine. You don't need to look so worried." I tell him, not missing the concern in his eyes and the stress lines on his forehead. 

"Why are you so calm about me turning into a wolf?" 

"I've freaked out already. And anyway, who am I to judge you for something you were born with? I'm pregnant with a forty-year-old werewolf's baby. I really can't say anything." Eliot winces at my pregnancy statement but I just shrug it off. I've accepted it.

Emily sets a plate of food down in front of me and I thank her as I start eating. There's a comfortable silence as we eat and I'm thankful that none of them are acting weird around me now that I know their secret. Once breakfast is finish, I insist on washing up the plates much to Emily's protest and then I head back upstairs to have a shower and get dressed.

It's when I'm brushing my hair that there's a knock on my bedroom door. 

"Come in!" I call out to them.

I poke my head out of the bathroom and smile as Eliot walks into the room, closing the door behind him. 

"Hey. What's up?" I ask as I chuck my brush down next to the sink and walk into my bedroom. 

Eliot sits down on my bed with a sigh and I raise an eyebrow as I sit down in the spot next to him.

"I know that you said you're fine with the whole werewolf thing but nothing has really been explained to you yet."

As Eliot talks, he stares down at his hands that are placed in his lap and fiddles with his fingers. He's nervous. I'm a little surprised. Eliot has never really been nervous about anything but here he is sitting on my bed looking a tad scared. I've told him already that I've accepted the werewolf thing so what can he possibly be worried about?

"Explain it to me then."

He says nothing. I place my hand over both of his causing him to finally look up at me.

"What is it that you're so worried about? I'm not going to change my mind, Eliot."

He visibly swallows before answering.

"Us."

I frown in confusion.

"What do you mean?" He looks down at our hands again.

"Can you feel it?"

"The connection you spoke about? Yeah, I can feel it still." I squeeze his hand in reassurance. Isn't it good that we have a connection? He should be happy about it.

"But it's more than just a connection Meri... we're mates."

"I remember you saying that last night. What's the big deal?" He shakes his head and stands up.

"Forget it."

I grab his hand and pull him to sit back down. He's not leaving without explaining it. He came in here to talk to me so that's what he's going to do.

"No. Explain it to me. No secrets remember."

Eliot turns his body to face me and keeps hold of my hand as he talks.

"You've heard of the term soul mates, right? It's a human term."

"Yeah of course. It means that everyone has another destined to be with them. It's like their other half. But not everyone believes they exist." I tell him. 

As I said before, my mum used to tell me stories of soul mates. I always believed that my parents were soul mates, that they were made for one another. Their love was pure and it's something I've always dreamed of having myself. Of course, the stories she told me were just stories but I do believe some people are just made to be together. 

"Exactly. Well for werewolves, we have mates. It's the same principle as soul mates. We all have someone that is destined to be with us. When you find your mate, you instantly create a connection with them and there's a certain electricity between them both."

My heart begins to pound rapidly against my chest and my eyes widen at his description of everything I've felt since meeting him. The connection, the electricity and the sparks I feel whenever we touch.

"When I said to you last night that the sparks you feel when we touch are caused by our connection, I mean that-"

"We're mates." I finish in a whisper.