Chapter 5: Protector

Start from the beginning

“So you're bad?” is what I automatically said in a bit of a softer,more sultry voice. I didn’t mean to say it so huskily and instantly flushed to a brilliant red when David made a face.

“Why did you say it like that? You like bad boys, Faith?”

My face was on fire now and so I turned around to take a deep breath. Curse you blood in my cheeks, curse you!

“Why am I here?” I muffled into my hands and slowly turned back around.

David frowned for a moment and thought about what to say. “You need protection and I was called down to earth to do just that.”

I shook my head slowly, unable to process what he just said. “Are you a Guardian Angel then?”

He brushed back his hair. “Yes,” he said then as if I could handle any other hundred pound waits he then added, “Your Guardian Angel to be specific.”

“My Gaurdian Angel?”

He nodded.

It took all of my energy not to bark out a fat, “HA!” He was an Angel? If David Star was an Angel, two plus two was five. It just didn't make any sense.

At the sound of David obnoxiously gargling some of the water bottle that was on the coffee table I decided to bombard him with more questions. “How old are you?”

“Older than dirt.”

That was when we got into an intense staring contest. Something was always off about David Star and I just couldn’t pin-point it. The tattoo, the side-eyed looks, and the Clifford the Big Red Dog height he had going on….the…

My eyes darted to underneath his desk. “What do you keep under there? A knife? A sword?” I crossed my arms over my chest and waited for an answer.

A scythe…

David’s eyes lit up in confusion. “What? Oh…” He then got up with a small smile and went around his desk in slow strides. He sighed and disappeared under the wooden surface, returning with what looked like a silver letter opener. “Anything else you want to question me with?”

“Yeah,” I said and got up to my feet. “Are you lying?”

“Why would I lie?”

“I don’t know,” I said slowly and walked closer to the desk. “You know what? I do know. Gaurdian Angel my ass. Where have you been the last—oh I don’t know, eighteen years? I fell off my bike twice when I was ten and cracked open my skull when I was thirteen.  I almost got in a bad car accident just last year. Where were you then, Angel boy? Because right now you seem more like the type that was stalking around for people to kill and taking souls like the psycho you probably are.”

The words just spilled out of my mouth.

But it made so much sense.

David shook his head and leaned onto his desk with all of his weight. I heard it creak a little at he did so but was too distracted by his glare to even notice. “I wasn’t assigned you until recently. Nobody realized of your…particular situation until a few years ago.” I staged the car accident with Devin to get you to me.”

My mouth formed an ‘O’. “This is all crazy,” I said and eyed the door. What if David was just psycho and was making this all up? What if I was dreaming? I non-challantly pinched myself to find that I indeed was awake.

“I want proof,” I choked out. “I want proof and I want it now.”

He drifted his eyes from the spot in the window where he was day-dreaming. “I can’t tell you that. I can’t tell you anything pretty much. All I’m allowed to tell you is that I’m your Guardian Angel and you’re stuck with me until whenever I’m re-assigned.”