20. Getting a job, life in the real world

Chapter twenty

I awoke from movement coming from beside me. It was dark and to my guess it was about the middle of the night. I watched as a dark shape got into the bed beside me, and I sat up quickly.

"It's just me" I heard Tom's voice come from beside me. I relaxed and laid back down on my pillow.

"Where have you been?" I asked Tom, turning on my side so I could look at him. My eyes were adjusting to the dark now and I could make out the handsome features of Tom's face. I looked him in the eyes.

"I got myself a job," He draped his arm around my waist pulling me closer to him. "Go to sleep now, we will talk in the morning" Tom pulled me so I was now resting my head on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat. It was so calming and I felt my eyelids get heavy, as sleep was about to take over me once more.

Without realizing it I fell into a deep sleep. I dreamed about dark figures, sending of green lights into the streets of Muggle towns, and from in the darkness I heard a high pitch laugh. It was Tom. The laugh sent shivers down my spine.

I awoke with beads of sweat on my forehead. Tom was still sleeping peacefully next to me. Light from the sun was creeping in from the sides of the curtain, which cover the small window in front of our bed.

I watched Tom smiling at how perfect he looked, and saw as his eyes slowly opened, he looked at me and smiled back.

"Good morning beautiful. How did you sleep?" he asked sitting up kissing my forehead.

"I sleep well," I said lying as I remembered my dream. I did not wanting to tell Tom about it. "So where did you get a job at?" I asked Tom.

"Borgin and Burkes in knockturn alley" Tom sat up in the bed "the more money we make, the quicker we can get out of this place. I tried to get a job at Hogwarts first, but your father would not allow it" I saw Tom frown and I knew he did not like my father one bit "Oh well, this job will do for now"

I smiled at Tom "Maybe I should go find a job somewhere today"

Tom and I got up and had a shower and got dressed for the day. Tom left to go to work and I went down into Diagon Alley.

'No way am I getting a job in Knockturn Alley' I thought to myself as I walked up and down the street of Diagon alley. I came across a broomstick store with a 'help wanted' sign in the window, so I walked inside up to the front counter.

"Hello Miss How can I ..." The man trailed off "Laylah?" He asked.

"Dean?" I said excitedly "What are you doing working here?"

"Well, I got to make some money first before I can start my traveling, I plan to work for about a year, travel for a few more years, then go try get a job at Hogwarts...ah I miss that place terribly" Dean trailed off into his thought. He soon snapped out of them, realizing I was watching him "So what can I do for you Miss Laylah?"

"Is the manager about, I noticed the help wanted sign in the window, I'm looking for a job"

"Just one moment" Dean went off into the back of the store and an man that looked a lot like Dean came out "This is my older brother Andy, he owns the place" Dean turn towards his brother "This Laylah the great Keeper we had on the Gryffindor team I was telling you about" Dean winked at me as he said this "She's looking for a job"

Dean's older brother turned towards me with a smile "Well if you are as good as Dean says you are on a broomstick your hired, after all we are the best selling broomstick shop in all the Wizarding world"

"Oh thank you so much" I said excitedly shaking Andy's hand.

"You start Tomorrow be here 9am sharp" He smirked.

I said farewell to Dean and his brother and left the store. I spent some time looking around at the different shops before heading back to my room at Hogs Head.

It was coming well on 10:30pm when Tom finally came back.

"You worked late" I said to him as he came inside.

"I had a few things to do after I finished work. Did you get a job?" Tom sat on the edge of the bed and took his shoes off.

"Yeah I did, at the broomstick shop in Diagon Alley"

I looked seriously at Tom "What did you do after you finished work?"

"I paid a visit to an old place I went on an excursion too back in my days at the orphanage...I had something...I needed to drop off there"

I didn't bother asking what it was I had a very good idea on my own what it was...'A Horcruxe' I thought sadly. I sighed, 'I should really get use to this new Tom, or Voldemort' I thought to myself 'I have a life time to go off this'.

***

Don't forget to vote if you like it ;)