28

Five years ago

I sat curled up on the living room sofa watching reruns of Friends. Pulling my legs up Indian style, I laughed at a corny joke Chandler told. I was so into the sitcom that I didnt realize that the front door had opened and my mother was standing in the doorway.

"Happy Birthday to you", she began to sing and came over to hug me. "Happy Birthday my angel!"

I pulled away from her embrace and turn to look at her. "My birthday was yesterday", I informed her.

Her smile vanished as she let out a gasp. "Was it? I'm so sorry, Tweety. I was so busy I didn't even realize what day it was."

By busy you must mean passed out from intoxication in the back of a nightclub somewhere. I thought to myself.

 She ran her hand through her frayed salt and pepper hair that was in need of a treatment and dye. "What kind of parent would forget their child's sixteenth birthday", she said while hanging her head in shame.

"Don't worry about it", I brushed her off and turned my attention back to the television until she came and blocked my view. "Could you move? I cant see through you", I said getting annoyed.

"Well just because your birthday yesterday doesnt mean we cant celebrate today", she said while holding out a brown paper bag that I reluctantly accepted.

Inside was a clear container of German Chocolate cake, my favourite.

"See, Im not that bad. At least I got the cake right", she let out a ditsy laugh.

I started to open it but she snatched it from me.

"You cant eat your birthday cake dressed like that!" She exclaimed while eyeing my attire.

I had on loose fitted sweatpants, a plain tank top and fuzzy socks. "Im at home and want to be comfy."

"Well too bad because I got you a new dress." She handed me another bag. "Put this on and then we can take pictures so that your siblings can see how you spent your birthday."

"My siblings shouldn't have to see anything. I should be celebrating with them."

"Dont start! You know that isnt possible."

"And whose fault is that? I cant even spend time with my twin on our day. Or did you forget that I was a twin too?", I snapped.

She smacked her teeth and shoved the dress in my lap. "Just put the damn dress on."

I got up from the couch and stepped to her. "And if I dont?"

We starred at each other for a few moments and then I caved in. Not because I was afraid of her but because I didnt feel like arguing with her. I'll just hurry and do whatever I have to so that I can return to my tv marathon.

I stood in the mirror looking at the reflection that was starring back at me. I had even fixed my hair and makeup to please my mother.

My room door was pushed open and I jumped turning to see who it was

"It's just me. You like you saw a ghost", my mother teased.

"You startled me is all", I said rolling my eyes.

I turned back to the mirror and she came to stand behind me. "You look perfect", she complimented. "Forget cake until later. You wouldn't want to risk getting crumbs on this cute dress."

"Then what am I wearing this for? I might as well take it off."

"Not yet. We still have to take your pictures."

"I already did. I took a few selfies in the mirror."

"Well how about try a new pose? Like one laying down. Get in the bed."

I was making my way over to the bed when I paused. "Wait....you're taking these pictures for him?"

I backed up from the bed and headed towards the door but she gripped my hand.

"Let me go!", I shouted.

"Lower your voice! You know it wont end well if he finds out you're not cooperating."

"And I guess you're gonna tell him? Im not surprised. You already offer me up to him like some human sacrifice."

I kept resisting, trying to pull away but her grip was tight and she was stronger than me. I felt something metal and cold wrap around my wrist. She had cuffed me to the bed.

"Whether you want to or not, you're gonna lay on this bed!", she scolded.

"I swear you better enjoy your life now. Cause when dad finds out about all the fucked up shit you've done, he wont think twice about killing your ass!", I spat at her.

The doorway darkened and a tall figure appeared with a flogger in his hand.

"Why do we always have to go through this?", he asked me and I ignored him. "Im speaking to you."

I turned to face him. "I cant wait for the day when you get caught and go to jail. I hope they fuck you hard in the ass. But then you like the kinky shit, so that might turn you on."

He responded by walking over to me, raising his hand that held the torture device and brought it down against my mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present Day

I had followed Avery up to her room where the door was wide open but the en suite bathroom door was closed. I tried the handle but it was locked.

I lightly tapped the door. "Avery..... Babygirl, let me in, please."

"Go away", a soft voice responded and I swear I heard a few sobs.

I looked around the vanity and saw a hair pin, just my luck. I used it to pick the lock on the bathroom door after a few tries I heard a click and turned the handle. All those times coming home late as a teenager and getting locked out by my momma just came in handy.

Avery was sitting on the toilet, with her elbows on her thighs and head in her hands. I came to kneel before her and gently pulled her hands down. Her face was stained with tears. I grabbed a few Kleenex from the box on the counter and wiped her face.

"Im sorry", she started.

"What are you apologizing for?"

"For being such a mess. For exposing you to my family drama", she started sobbing again.

"Listen to me. You have nothing to apologize for. You understand?"

She nodded and I pulled her into my arms. Lifting her up, I sat on the toilet and pulled her onto my lap with my arms still around her.

"It's just that the last time she wished me happy birthday was five years ago and seeing her brought back bad memories", she said in between sobs.

"Take some deep breaths and relax. You don't have to explain yourself now just catch yourself."

She did as I instructed her and leaned into me. Normally, she was always held her composure and showed little emotions, except for when she was under the influence. However, seeing her break down today, is all new to me

"I know you've been hurt by someone else. I can tell by the way you carry yourself. If you let me, here's what I'll do, I'll take care of you", I sang into her ears as she held onto me. "That's a promise, Avie."