“Alright. I really liked talking to you last night and felt bad that you'd be bored by yourself seeing as I knew that Damon would go off on his womanizing ventures and that Kris and Kurt would be doing their own thing. I knew you could use the company. Honestly, how much James Patterson can one person read and be entertained?” He stated. Addison tapped the couch cushion lightly while she pondered his answer with a playful look in her eye.

“You're still lying. I believe the part about last night but your explanation for today seems too creative for me. And by the way, James Patterson is by far, one of the best out there.” She defended her favorite author. Nathan threw a humored laugh her way.

“You got me.” He continued, “Okay, I knew you were fine on your own but I figured I was owed a day of fun and I had a girl I wanted to see.”

“So you have a girlfriend? You better not tell her about us then.” She kidded. Nathan turned a few shades of red darker than his normal color. This made her laugh.

“And there's something to tell about us?” He grinned.

“Nah.” Addison began. “It would never work.” She laughed nervously. She couldn't believe that she was flirting with Nathan this much. What if he got the wrong idea? She started to move back a bit but Nathan pulled her closer to where he sat. Their knees were now touching and that heat that they had experienced at the beach and just moments ago, on the patio began to surge between them once again. He let go of her wrist, moved his hand to her thigh and studied her reaction. Her thigh felt like it was on fire.

“What makes you say that it would never work?” He asked her inquisitively, his face inches from hers. Addison was at a loss for words. Her mouth ran dry. Her mind was scrambling to find an explanation that wouldn't offend this guy with the sexy bedroom eyes.

“It's complicated.” She began. “I just don't think I'm in that right frame of mind nor do I think it'll ever happen for me.” Nathan looked puzzled.

“That last bit was a lie. You're hiding something. The complicated part I completely believe.” He said. “Something happened to get you to move this far away from home. Leaving home wasn't something you wanted was it?” He said. He realized that he had hit the nail on the head because her face said it all at that point.

“Nate, I can't...” She began. “I...” She couldn't finish. She looked down and away from him with defeat. “No, I didn't want to leave. It was more of necessity.” She confessed.

“But why?” Nathan asked sitting up straighter not being able to fathom what could make someone leave home and move that far away.

“It's complicated.” She repeated. This time, he grabbed her chin in his free hand and forced her to look into his face and offered her a small smile of reassurance. She averted her eyes away from his face.

“I can't.” Is all she could muster. “I can't talk about it. Not yet. I'm sorry.” She stammered. She looked at him and couldn't figure out what was going through his head.

“I should go.” Nathan started to get up. Addison looked up at him. She seemed at a loss for words. What are you doing? Addison, just get up and stop him, will you?

“Nathan?” Nathan stopped and turned around once he reached the front door.

“Yeah?” Addison stood a few feet from him.

“Thanks for today. It's been the best day I've had in a while. I needed that.” She told him and gave him an honest smile.

“Anytime.” He replied. “Are you gonna be alright?” He asked her.

“I think I’m on my way there. Thanks.” She said and sounded like she was trying to reassure herself along with Nathan. He saw the uncertainty in her face. He took the few steps and wrapped an arm around her waist and the other cradled her head into his chest. He dropped his chin onto the top of her head and held her there for several seconds. He pulled away and reached for her chin. Addison tilted her head up but couldn't make eye contact with him still.

“I'm sorry for being like this.” She began and pulled her chin out from his hand but maintained the distance between their faces. “This is not the way I thought this relocation thing was going to go.”

“It's fine. I’m here if you need to talk.” He told her and pulled her into another hug. He's never done this before. Nursing someone else's vulnerability on a personal level was completely unusual. Sure, he'd held panicking people on the job but that wasn't the same. He couldn't help but feel bad for Addison. She had to have been through something quite traumatic if she couldn't talk about it at will. He figured, if she wanted to talk about it, that she'd bring everything up when she's ready. After all, he was listening when she said not yet.