Conference Weekend: Sunday Part One

Conference Weekend

Sunday part 1

Lestrade woke to find his officers gathering down one end of the dormitory, whispering to each other. He hauled himself up and out of bed, stretched and made his way over to the group.

“Anderson, what’s going on?” he whispered.

“You are not going to believe this.” He replied “Take a look at the top bunk there… the freak and his side-kick…”

“I’m getting closer for a photo!” someone whispered, whipping out their mobile phone.

Greg had a bad feeling that he knew what the men were gawping at. Despite his annoyance with Sherlock most of the time, he felt bad that they were being watched and laughed at like this. John certainly didn’t deserve it.

He took a look around at the mixture of sniggering and horrified faces of his fellow officers, several of whom now had their phones out to record the moment for prosperity, and decided he really didn’t like this situation.

Anderson grabbed him by the arm and motioned for him to come to the front of the group to see what had drawn their attention. Greg’s suspicions were confirmed when he spied John Watson lying on his back with Sherlock curled up beside him, his head on John’s chest and their arms around each other. Both were sleeping peacefully through the commotion but Greg figured it was only a matter of time before they awoke to find themselves being observed like zoo animals.

Greg sighed and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes before addressing the growing audience.

It was at this moment that John began to stir, prompting the gatherers to hush suddenly. His head was angled towards Sherlock’s and the first thing he saw upon opening his eyes were the dark curly locks of his flatmate where they were resting on his chest.

A small smile graced his lips briefly before somehow sensing that he was being watched. Slowly, he turned his head towards the rest of the room and his eyes went wide as he realised the number of people staring at him, holding up their phones.

“What the bloody hell…” he began, in his raspy morning voice.

“OK lads… that’s enough.” Lestrade interrupted. “Time’s ticking on. I want you all to get ready and head to breakfast. We’ve got a practical demonstration to attend at 9am.”

He started shooing people away and physically manhandled a few more stubborn characters until they had all left John’s bedside.

He turned to John with an apologetic look on his face.

“Cheers Greg.” John sighed “I might have felt compelled to see them off more violently if left to my own devices.” He closed his eyes and let his head fall back on to the pillow.

“No worries.” The DI replied softly, then started walking back to his bunk to get dressed. “However, you may want to think about getting up yourself. I know Sherlock was interested in the demo this morning.”

“Yeah, thanks.” John murmured, wishing he could just stay in bed and catch up on the lost sleep of the last few nights.

Tiredly he turned back to look at Sherlock. He really didn’t want to wake him, he was so comfortable like this. John gently brushed the detective’s long hair from his face and ran his hand through the curls as he had done the night before.

Sherlock moved his head into John’s touch then opened his eyes sleepily. He smiled as he took in the army doctor’s rumpled, sleepy appearance and felt an over-whelming desire to get even closer to that handsome face.