Conference Weekend: Saturday Night - Part One

Saturday Night: Part One

Later that evening, many of the guests were playing cards in the lounge, including Lestrade, Donovan and Anderson. The mood in the room was friendly and relaxing, with the pleasant background noise of people chatting and laughing together.

The door to the lounge suddenly burst open and was slammed shut by a very irate looking Sherlock, startling all of the occupants in the room. They watched the dressing gown clad detective march across the room and throw himself on to a vacant armchair, legs dangling over the side and arms dramatically spread wide.

The room went uncomfortably quiet as everyone stared at the scowling genius and then looked to each other with raised eyebrows.

Greg looked at Sally as if to say ‘go talk to him’. Sally made a similar face to Greg.

Greg won out and Sally gingerly approached the sulking man.

“What’s up freak?”  she said loudly.

Greg sighed and glared at his subordinate.

“Piss off.” Sherlock retorted and looked away.

“Come on Sherlock, something’s obviously bothering you. What is it?” Sally tried again.

“God! Why all the questions?” Sherlock sprang up in to a sitting position, his limbs jiggling and twitching anxiously. “We all know you don’t really care so why don’t you just leave me alone.” He ground out through clenched teeth.

At that point an officer near the window called out “Hey! Where’s Doctor Watson off to?”

Sherlock’s head snapped up at that and strode quickly across the room to look for himself, barging roughly past Sally on the way.

“He just got in a taxi… there it is over there.” The officer pulled back the curtain further for everyone to see.

Sherlock kicked the wall violently and stalked off to the dormitory, slamming the door behind him.

“Think they’ve had a domestic?” Anderson commented, causing a smattering of laughter in the room.

Greg pulled himself up and off the comfy sofa and grabbed Sally on his way to the dormitory. “Come on, let’s go see what’s happened.”

“Why do I have to go?” Sally whined as she was pulled along.

“I need moral support.”

It was pitch black in the dormitory so Greg pulled on a lamp switch near to where he knew Sherlock and John’s beds were. Once illuminated, the pair could see Sherlock sat on the top bunk holding his knees drawn up to his chest. He looked uncharacteristically upset which shocked the officers.

“He’s left me!” he shouted angrily.

“Why?” Greg thought it best to keep this simple.

Sherlock didn’t look like he wanted to answer and turned his face away from his questioning gaze.

“Have you two had an argument?” Greg asked calmly, despite feeling very frustrated at having to deal with Sherlock’s unpredictable nature… again.

“What’s the point in discussing it with you two? He’s gone!”

“You’re not used to having a close friend like John, are you Sherlock?” Sally pushed. “So maybe we can help you work out what you need to do to keep him as your friend.”

Sherlock turned to assess the sincerity of Sally’s words. Seeing no deception or mocking in her face he decided to seek their advice after all. John was very important to him and maybe he needed another perspective. The detective didn’t delude himself that he knew what he was doing with regards to his relationship with John.