Chapter 1: The Accident

Magsimula sa umpisa

“Honey, Are you sure your ok with living in Tennessee?” My mom’s voice was full of concern. “Your father is more than happy to have you go stay with him.”

“Mom, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry. Just go and try to fit some fun time in between working.” I reassured her. I had been telling her the same thing for weeks now, so it was easy to get her to believe me. I was hoping after 8 years that Uncle Justin and Aunt Kate had gotten over their hatred towards me.

“Ok Bella. But if you change your mind, here is the number to call me or your father.” She told me ask she handed me a piece of paper with numbers written on it. “And here is your new cell phone. I want you to call me every night ok?” I nodded and took the cell phone and the piece of paper, folded it up and stuck it in my back pocket.

My mom took me in her arms and hugged me tightly. We were standing outside the gate at the airport. The flight attendant called for us to board the plane. My mom hugged me for a few more seconds before releasing me. I gave her the best smile I could manage and she kissed my forehead.

“I love you sweetheart. Don’t forget to call me every night before you go to sleep.” She said to me as I turned to board my plane.

“Bye mom.” I waved as I walked through the gate, heading towards the plane. That was the last time I had seen my mother since coming to live with Uncle Justin and Aunt Kate.

I sat in my room, staring at a picture of my parents and me when I was a baby. I missed them both so much. I felt a tear forming in my eye and it quickly ran down my cheek. I reached up and wiped it away, then I placed the picture of my parents and I back in the shoe box beside me. I looked around my tiny room as I got lost in my thoughts. I didn’t have much in my room but a few items. I had a kid size bed that was too short for me and my feet hung off the edge of it. I had a tiny dresser with three drawers on it, which could only hold very little clothing. My closet is where I kept most of my clothes, well of what clothes I had. I only brought with me a suitcase full of clothes, it had about 10 different outfits then a few various shirts and pants. I had planned on buying some new clothes when I got here. But those plans fell through almost immediately. There were two little windows that let in some light, which I was grateful to have. But besides that, all I had was a few books that kept me occupied while stuck in this house.

Aunt Kate had promised to take me clothes shopping later today, but I knew what that meant. She was just going to take me the hand me down store, where they clothes were used clothing. I never got to buy new clothes anymore, I never had enough money to buy the new clothes. My mom sends money every month for me but Uncle Justin and Aunt Kate keep most of it and only gives me a tiny bit. So most of my clothes I have now are ratty and worn out. I have a select few nice looking clothes that I had brought with me, but I save wearing those for special occasions.

I got up off the bed to put the shoe box back underneath my bed. I kept my most private and important things in the box and hide it so they wouldn’t go snooping in my room and look through it. After putting the box back underneath the bed, I heard Uncle Justin arrive back home. I literally jumped when I heard the front door slam shut and stood up quickly.