1.

B A B Y   S T E P S

[CHAPTER ONE]

I stared motionlessly at the ceiling with my feet amongst the white bedding sheets. A thousand thoughts racing around my mind aimlessly - a hundred and one questions unanswered leaving me to think deeply. Was life supposed to be this non adventurous?

Summer expectations are definitely dreamlike, nothing like reality. The screen of my device remained blank despite continuously sending messages to my 'friends' attempting to arrange something. Somehow, I needed to make a holiday friend.

Knock knock.

Startled by the sudden noise, I scrambled myself together. With a heavy sign, I rushed to see who was frantically bounding at the front door.

"Sienna!" The familiar brummie accent exclaimed in surprise as the door flung open. My neighbour, Bradley Will Simpson, smiled innocently - somehow showing he was grateful I answered his knock.

"Oh hi Brad." I yawned carelessly, utterly clueless as to why he was on the doorstep. I hardly ever spoke to Brad despite being neighbour and our mums being best friends - maybe because he was away a lot with how band, apparently they are quite successful.

"Did I wake you?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at me. Instantly, my hand flew to my chin removing the travel of salvia that occurred during the time I was 'resting my eyes'.

"I wasn't sleeping, just resting the eyes." I lied with a false smile. "Is there a reason as to why you want my attention-"

"Is your mum in?" He questioned unexpectedly.

"No, she's gone away on a conference weekend with my dad." I explained to him with a frown - both parents had abandoned me whilst they relax in Spain.

"Shit." Brad cursed as panic showed in his brown eyes.

"Why?" I asked bluntly, wanting to know the reason why he wanted my mum.

"It's Arabella." He sighed deeply creating a pause.

Arabella was Brad's three month old daughter. According to rumours, Brad used to often hook up with girls whilst on tour because apparently  its normal for a band member to do as they never have the time for a real relationship. Obviously, he was too careless one time  and forgot the birds and the bees. Unprotected sex took place with a total stranger resulting in the birth of baby Arabella. Arabella's mum was still not known to anyone apart from Brad who refused to announce her name. He says he has no contact with her, the day after Arabella was born the mysterious girl found his address and dropped her off - leaving him to be a single father. But I don't like listening to gossip.

"Is she ok?" I asked concerned, not really bothered as it was his problem. He should of listened during sex eduction classes, especially because he's featured in one of the videos.

"Not really." He sniffled. "For the last couple of days, she hasn't been sleeping nor drinking her milk. All she ever does is cry and cry. Mum has also gone away leaving me in charge."

"Normally, new born babies cry a lot." I stated the obvious. "And they often wake up during the night-"

"She isn't settling to sleep." He explained more clearly to me.