Chapter 16 - Heels Up

Start from the beginning

"I'm not trying to be your mother, Emma," she said.

"I'm going to be late for school." I said, marching out of the house and slamming the door behind me. I got into my car and dabbed the corners of my eyes. I couldn't cry. Lydia would kill me for ruining her make up.

☼ 

I focused on putting one foot in front of the other as I made my way down the hall. I tried to block out the fact that nearly every head I walked by turned to catch a glimpse of my new outfit. It was making me nervous. I wished I knew what they were thinking, whether or not they approved of this new style.

Finally, I spotted Stiles at his locker, shuffling through books and papers. I smoothed down my hair, making sure it still looked alright. He looked up from his locker, his eyes widening when he saw me walking towards him. Just as I was a few feet away from him, I stumbled, my heel slipping on the linoleum floor. A pair of hands caught the sides of my arms to steady me as a hot blush flushed through my cheeks.

"Woah," he said. His eyes seemed distracted. "You look...nice."

I felt embarrassed for what I was wearing now. I wanted nothing more than to take this stupid dress off and go back to what I usually wear. This just isn't me.

"Oh...um, thanks," I said. 

His hands dropped back to his sides, but I could still feel his touch. I replayed the memory over and over again, out of sheer embarrassment but also to make sure that I would never forget it. 

This was my chance. I had made the promise to myself in the school that night to tell Stiles the truth about how I feel. I went over and over in my mind how to even come out with it. Do I just straight up say, "I like you"? Or should I be more subtle and explain why I have come to have these feelings in the first place? I was beginning to lose my nerve.

"Hey, come with me," he said.  He grabbed his bookbag before closing his locker and walking down the hallway. I took quick baby steps to catch up with him, but he was still walking too fast for my inexperience in heels to keep up.

"Can you slow down a little?" I asked. "I'm not very good at this whole heel thing yet,"

He let out a soft chuckle, shortening his strides. I muttered a thank you as we continued down the hall. My calves were absolutely burning, as if flames would erupt from the muscle at any time. I really am beginning to admire Lydia for being able to tolerate these damn things everyday. 

"Is it rude to ask exactly why you're so dressed up?" Stiles said, glancing over to me. He softened his expression, trying to make sure it seemed as un-rude as possible.

Do I tell him the truth? Do I tell him that Lydia forced it on me in order to get his attention because I've had a weird crush on him for the past three years? I told myself I would do it, tell him how I feel. Maybe now is my chance.

"I guess I just wanted to try something new," I said. I cursed myself. Why couldn't I just come out with it? I had told Dad the truth, and how's it any different telling Stiles the truth about him? 

We stopped walking once we reached the main office. Stiles faced me, wrapping one hand around the strap of his bag that was slung over his shoulder. "Well, I think you look really pretty," he said. His voice was confident, yet slightly embarrassed. I could hear his heart rate slowly increasing by the second.

"You do?" I asked, a hot blush forming on the apples of my cheeks as he nodded. My heart fluttered at his words. He thought I was pretty. Stiles Stilinski, the crazy, sarcastic weirdo I've been emotionally attached to all this time thinks I'm pretty. Maybe he does think about me the way I think about him. Maybe, out of sheer luck and chance, he actually does like me back. My confidence was building. "Stiles...I - "