xx. Stark's Style

Chapter TwentyStark's Style

Chapter Twenty
Stark's Style

★ ★ ★ ★

While Bruce and Tony left, Natasha had gone with Maria down to wander the helicarrier and Thor was gazing out one of the windows. This left Steve and Diana seated at the conference table. Momentarily, it was silent, until Steve asked, "How are you feeling? About everything I mean."

Diana thought about his question, before she responded, "I don't exactly know."

Steve sighed and nodded, accepting her honest response. "I never asked. All this time— all these years, you've been alone?"

Diana slowly nodded. Steve felt his chest tighten and he bowed his head. She noticed his upset expression and placed a hand on his. He looked up to see the sad smile on her face. Sighing, she said, "You have been gone a long time, Steve. But do not blame yourself, please."

"I know and I'll try. I just want you to know that I plan to make up for all the lost time, Diana," Steve said, his eyes never leaving hers. Diana was at a loss for words. She had never expected this day to come and she could not begin to explain the sense of relief she felt in that moment.

In that moment as she stared into Steve's eyes, nothing else in life mattered. It was just her and Steve. Diana knew the two could not stay like that forever, much to her dismay, so she fluttered her eyes and glanced away.

"Uh, anyways would you like to accompany me to see how Bruce and Tony are doing?" Diana said and stood up from her seat.

Steve nodded and followed the goddess to the laboratory where Tony and Bruce had made themselves at home. The two entered in time to see Tony electrocute Bruce with a small pen-like object. Diana gave the billionaire an incredulous and disapproving look when he noticed her presence.

"Hey, are you nuts?" Steve cried out, a scolding look on his face.

"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?" Tony bluntly questioned the nuclear physicist. Diana couldn't help but scoff at his continuous remarks and glare at him.

"Why must everything be a joke with you, Tony? You know better than that!" Diana cried, not expecting a response because she already knew his answer. Tony glanced down feeling guilty, but he managed to quickly regain his apathetic expression.

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny," Steve said, before glancing at Bruce. "No offense, Doctor."