Chapter 16

The darkness fades from black to grey, then back to black again. Red swirls with the black now as grey begins to predominate. Something spins fuzzily as the grey slowly begins to whiten, morphing into lights and shadows. The shadows are motionless, time seeming to freeze.

Something begins to gradually reconnect as a numb feeling settles down around me. Feathery, light wisps of nothingness are now gently tugging at my subconscious. Too soon, nothingness turns into pain as sensors reignite my body awake.

Eyes snap open, head jerking upright. Hands and arms pull against rough restraints and legs separate themselves in attempts at freedom the cognizant mind was not yet aware of. In my small reprieve from the intense pain I had endured, I had forgotten the ropes keeping me secure.

"Don't you dare defy me like that, Cecil. You know who that is?" a loud female voice reaches my ears.

My mind was slowly beginning to wake up now as my gaze settles once more upon the familiar woman. Who was she and why is it that I recognized her so well? And why on earth was she defending me as if she knew me?

My peripherals notice Cecil as he steps closer, crossing his arms as he now stands in the center of the room. "You think you can make demands like that, having just gotten here?"

"She's awake," my right ear picks up Tyler's voice as I feel him approach me.

Slowly, I turn to face Tyler as he kneels beside my chair. I don't even notice the blood until it's on his hands as he put pressure on my leg. Then I feel the pain. I grunt as my instincts force my mouth open in a silent scream, releasing air from my lungs, attempting to breathe through the pain. But sucking in another breath brought attention to my temporarily forgotten shoulder wound. The pain would not stop. I could barely think through the fog it was creating.

"Help her," the commanding female voice speaks up again.

"Why on earth would I help her? I didn't just use the blade on her so I could go back and help her!" Cecil is almost laughing as I turn my head to glare at him, as menacing as I could manage. With my pain I was having to bear I was pretty sure it looked more as if I would throw up.

"Fine. If you won't, I will." A breeze blows softly against my leg as I cherish the cold feeling it leaves on the painfully hot wound. "Here," Tyler had left and been back within seconds. I feel a slight pinch in my bicep as it creates a tingling sensation that warms first my arm then my chest as it spreads out to my leg and shoulder. I let out a deep breath, grateful the pain had lessened immensely.

"What do you think you're doing?" I register Cecil's shocked and exasperated voice but I can't, don't listen. Still, he wouldn't stop shouting.

Cecil's shouts at Tyler melt into the background as I study the woman who had been here the whole time. The woman whose appearance alone had triggered something in my memory. Now as I was able to see her fully with a much more aware mind, I notice the details. Her aging features were not enough for me to miss the connections in her graying blonde hair and pale blue eyes. She smiles at me briefly, her eyes displaying affection before turning away.

"My dear Cecil," She is still smiling as she turns to him but something changes as her voice takes on a threatening tone. "Do not dare treat me as one of your slaves!" She turns to me now, her expression showing reluctance and a hint of disappointment before turning back to Cecil. "She is my family, my great great granddaughter." She tentatively turns back to me, her proud smile fading.

A myriad of questions run through my mind as both Cecil and Tyler shout questions at her simultaneously. But one stands out from the rest: how. Yes, how?