Act One - Chapter 1

Ariel's P.O.V.

When I was three, I saw my first ballet. I'll never forget the first time I saw Swan Lake, which was also the day I decided I wanted to become a ballerina.

I'll never forget the beautiful, perfect dancers, the people who make me want to push myself harder and harder. Every class is just one step closer to my dream of becoming a principal dancer. Just the thought of being on a stage, performing in front of thousands gets my heart beating faster.

"Ariel!" My mother yelled, her voice echoing through the studio.

"I told you to start stretching, not daydreaming! Now go warm up at the barre," she demanded, turning on the music.

I pretended to listen to her rambling about audition week while sewing the ribbons onto my new pointe shoes as I stretched. I decided that I needed to focus on nothing but ballet. After all, my audition for the best ballet school in London was in just a few days.

"That grand jeté could be much higher, Ariel! Is that what you call pointing your feet? Spot your turns! You need to plié deeper before you go into the leap!" My mother yelled over the music as I rehearsed my audition number for the hundredth time that week. You could never be too prepared for an audition like that.

An hour later, I had heard the words "One more time, I promise," six times, and downed two whole water bottles. When I was finally allowed to stop, I collapsed onto the floor to catch my breath. My mother rose from her chair, and stepped over me to leave.

"Where are we going?" I asked, slowly standing up.

"Well, we're going to get you a few brand new leotards for audition week, then you're getting a salad. You look a little pudgy," mother answered.

Ouch.

I opened my mouth to say something about how unnecessary that was, but ended up just closing it again quickly, and nodding my head.

****

I tucked away the new leotards that my mother purposely bought one size too small into my suitcase. Slowly, I looked around my room, memorizing every detail.

I studied the pink walls and every single picture on them. I had photographs of my idols, Anna Pavlova, Margot Fonteyn, and Darcey Bussell, just to name a few. Pictures from all of my recitals, competitions, and performances also hung on the walls. I even had my first pair of pointe shoes sitting on my dresser.

Suddenly, fatigue washed over my body and I could feel my tired muscles starting to ache. I crossed off another day on my calendar. Three days until audition week.

I prayed that the next few days would go by quickly. I literally jumped onto my bed and threw the covers over myself.

Just three more days.

*****

Harry's P.O.V.

Loser. Nerd. Ugly. Worthless. 

That's only some of the cruel names that were shouted at me as I walked to my last class of the day.

I could lie and say that I'm used to this. That everyone teasing me because I'm not popular or good looking, or simply because I'm a dancer is no big deal.

I could lie and say that it doesn't hurt when they push me against the big, metal lockers. Or when they followed me home from ballet one day, took my dance bag, and threw my shoes into the lake. Afterwards, they beat me up and then ran away.

As if my fathers' disapproval of me being a dancer wasn't enough, everyone at school made fun of me because of it.

I could have quit a long time ago. I could have just given up when the teasing started, or when father said he was disappointed in me. He said I should be a doctor like him and my grandfather. Even my older sister Gemma is at a university in America studying medicine.

I could have quit dancing right then and there, but I knew I couldn't give up on my dream that easily.

When I'm dancing I forget about all of the hateful names. I'm not ugly. I'm not a nerd. I'm not the loser. I'm just Harry. I don't need my glasses when I'm dancing because I no longer depend on my eyes but my feet.

I walked into the classroom, and sat down next to my one and only friend, Eric.

"Hey Harry!" He enthusiastically greeted me.

Eric and I had been best friends since we were six. He stopped everyone from teasing me when I got my glasses, and I did the same for him when he got his later that year. The rest is history.

I thank God that he stuck around after he grew out of his awkward phase, something I had yet to do. He started playing football and made loads of friends. He even got the attention of the popular girls in school. Yet he still chose to be my friend.

Obviously, Eric was much better looking than me, and he was captain of the football team. He was also very intelligent, and planning on becoming a pediatrician. I tried not to think about how my father would much rather have him as a son.

"Only three days left. Then, you're off to your big audition," Eric smiled, genuinely happy for me.

Wait. Did he say three days? I can't believe audition week starts in three days.

I scribbled a few reminders for myself in my notebook. I still needed to pack, and sign up for additional ballet classes as preparation for auditions. 

"I can't believe it. I doubt I'm going to get in, but just the opportunity is incredible. I feel like I'm in a dream," I rambled on, suddenly feeling unprepared as I looked at my to-do list.

"Dude! Relax! I've seen you perform before. You're going to be fine, and you're certainly going to get in. They'd be mad if they didn't put you through!" Eric assured me with a pat on the back.

I hope that he's right.

*****

At around seven o'clock that night, I came home from a three hour long rehearsal. I prayed it would be enough to compete with the other boys who were also auditioning.

I just knew that everyone there would be much better than me. Without a doubt, I thought, they would be much stronger, and more prepared than I was.

Stop it, Harry. You're just going to make yourself even more nervous. You only have three days anyway. This is the best it's going to get. It has to be.

You only have three days.

Just three more days.

Author's Note

Hey guys! This is the first chapter of my new nerdy Harry AU fic! I just really love ballet and I really love marcel/ nerdy Harry fanfictions so I guess that's kinda how I came up with the idea. Let me know if you like it! 

P.S. gif on the side is how I picture Ariel :) 

Thanks! Love you all lots!

Hayley xx