29

Charles

I felt like my body weighed a ton. I slowly opened my eyes, letting them adjust to the foreign light. I had to wait for them to properly adjust, but I could tell I was in a hospital room. The infernal beeping of my heart monitor was both annoying, and comforting. Memories of what happens came rushing back just as fast as the event that took place. We almost died.

"Alastor?" I looked to my left, and sighed in relief when I saw who was in the bed next to me. Asleep, but a live. "Oh thank you merciful god." I looked to my right, and saw the new morning sun behind the trees. I could hear the sound of birds just outside the window. If I hadn't almost died, and my body not ache like a son of a bitch. I might have felt at peace.

"Good god, please don't tell me this is what heaven looks like?" I smiled and turned to my old friend.

"If you're here, it might be hell you old fool." He turned his head as best as he could. He had a neck braise on preventing him from turning it. Like me, he looked like hell.

"I see they forgot to shut that mouth of yours." We started laughing, only to groan from the pain. I guess we got banged up pretty good. I just noticed the gauze bandage on my side and head. I also notice a gauze covering my left ear. Just how badly was I fucking hit?!

"Alastor? What the hell exactly happened?" I was now looking at the ceiling.

"You were there. Did the impact mess up your memory that bad?" I know he's just as mad as I am being in this situation. No one likes waking up like this. Especially when you know you almost died. Yes, we're thankfully still breathing. But come on! Who knows how bad this may have really affected us.

"I do not need your smart ass remarks right now. I have some memories, but a few are still hazy. All I remember is hearing you shout, and then a sudden pressure on my left side. The car ending up smashing into something, but then everything goes dark." I heard him take a breath, and it sounded almost painful to do.

"Damn this hurts. I remember seeing another car heading for ours. They ran a light, and smashed right into your side of the car. I guess it managed to hit more of the back, or you wouldn't be here. I remember the car then hit a poll right in front of us, and feeling like something was crushing me. But like you, that's about all I remember." Damn it! We wouldn't even be able to identify the son of a bitch.

Before either of us could say anything else, the room door was opened. And in walked the people we are more than thankful to be able to see.

"Oh thank god!" I watched as Val ran to Alastor side, and started kissing him as gently as she could. I couldn't help the tightness in my chest. A part of me almost wishes I would have died. That way I could see my dear Serena's face again. But then the very reason why I am here comes bursting through the door.

"Dad!" Carter comes to my side, and I look into his bright blue eyes. His mother's eyes. I could tell he didn't sleep, and he's eyes a red from crying. The tightness in my chest is back, but not from jealousy this time. But from love at the son who let's me stay connected to my beloved wife.

"Hey, dad." I look to the red face of one of my new sons. I smile at him, and take both their hands in mine. I feel them squeeze my hands. Not too tight, but just enough. I turn and see Ethan doing the same with Alastor. I then look to the door, and see my other children and grandson standing there. Marcus holding Jenny, and James holding Nick.

"What? You three didn't miss these two old dogs or what?" Jenny was the first to break and come running to us. She held Alastor's hand, while she cried on my cast covered chest.

"What is with the men in this family?! A girl isn't suppose to cry this much!" We laughed as she cried herself dry. Marcus came and took both or hands in his, before pulling a still weeping Jenny off me. James held Nick up to both of us, so we could each place a kiss on his round little cheeks.

"How are you two doing?" He asked.

"In pain, but alive. Thank you for asking James." He smiled to Alastor, before taking a seat with Nick in his arms. Everyone talked before someone else stepped into the room.

"Hello Mr. McClain, Mr. Kingman." Our assistant came into the room holding matching get well baskets.

"Isabella, what are you doing here?" Before she could say anything else, a loud 'Ah' was heard, and we looked to see Carter pointing a the short red haired girl. She looked to Carter, and smirked. Everyone watched them with confusion and fascination.

"Izzy! What are you doing here?" They pulled each other into a hug, and we all turned to look at Ethan. He was just calmly sitting there with a smile.

"I told you I would see you guys soon. Now, where is Ethan?" Ethan stood up, and gave her a hug as well.

"Can someone explain?" We looked at Val before looking back at the three of them.

"Sorry. We met Izzy here in Italy during our honeymoon. I talked with her in the hotel bar where she used to work. I later introduced her and Ethan about a day or so later. But when did you become our dad's assistance? What happened to Italy?" She placed the baskets between me and Alastor.

"I moved back about a few months back. I needed a new job, and found an online ad for an assistance position. I was surprised when I learned I was working for your dads. But kept it to myself. I never got the chance to see Ethan thought. But anyway. Sirs, these baskets are from the company's board members. They wanted to have me hand over some files that need signing. But you two need rest, so I told them to postpone until a later date."

"Thank you Isabella. I appreciate that." She smiled at Val and nodded her head.

"We can't postpone too long. Those files are to invest in a company in Japan. We need to come to an agreement before we lose their resources. Isabella, please bring those files over tomorrow."

"Alastor Kingman. So help me god, if you work while injure I will make it so you never leave this bed." I laughed at his paling face. "Don't laugh Charles! This applies to you as well. The last thing this family needs is for you two to end up back here from a heart attack or exhaustion!" We started arguing with her about the importance of those files. And soon the kids started arguing with us as well. Add in Nicholas' crying, and you had one crazy ass hospital room.

"We'll do it." Everyone stopped, and looked to Carter and Ethan. Ethan was now holding a calm Nick in his arms, and Carter had his arm around Ethan's back. They looked like a happy family. It brought a small smile to my face.

"What was that?" Alastor tried to sit, but Val gently pushed him back down."

"Me and Carter will run the company until you get better."

"You two focus on resting and getting better. In the mean time. Leave everything to us." We all just stared at the two of them. Well, isn't this day just full of surprises.