a new chef? ch. 1

Today was the start of your new job. You were now officially part of the Overwatch team.

...As the head chef.

You were the new head chef for Overwatch, only preparing breakfast and dinner for everyone, due to lunch being taken over by battle time.
You headed in through the front doors, and a kind lady by the name of Marabell gave you directions to the kitchen. It was two hours until dinner, so you had just enough time to make something delicious for everyone. Thinking of all the choices, you settled on making an Irish lamb stew. It was only your first day, and you didn't want to put out your best dishes yet.

The former head chef was standing by the sink to the right as you entered the door. Other chefs were around the kitchen, mainly cleaning. The man very brief about everything. Breakfast was at 8:30 am everyday, and dinner was at 7:00 pm, aside from festival days, where dinner wouldn't be served. Nodding along to this information, he ended the chat quickly.

"Good luck," the man said to you on his way out. "you'll need it." thinking upon his words, you decided not to dwell on what they could mean. You looked around at the chefs standing around, and clapped your hands.

"Well now! Lets get started."

***

You could hear everyone come in after a hard days work on the field. Smoothing your coat, you headed into the dining room.

There were a lot of people in Overwatch, but of course a few remained prominent. Tracer, a speedy British gal, Mc'Cree, the charming cowboy, Soldier: 76, the dad, Mercy, the mom, Roadhog, the big piggy, and Junkrat, the soot covered mess. Of course the were others, but those were the first you saw. "Hello!" You beamed out. You were met with confused faces. "Aha" you chuckled. "I'm Y/N, your new head chef."

Tracer smiled wide at you. "Lovely to meet you dear!" Her kind words made you feel welcomed. Mc'Cree tipped his hat at you, which accompanied a wink, causing you to blush madly.
Others nodded, a smile on their faces. Maybe they wanted a change?

Of course, though, Junkrat spoke up.

"Oi, new 'ead chef? I'll be missin' Rover. Made the best ribs eva'!" You sighed at his words, seeing as though some people agreed with him.
You never liked Junkrat much, due to all of the news on the radio you heard about him. He was an insane boy with no empathy towards others. You couldn't understand how he lived.

"Ah, yes, we'll all miss him." You said, gritting through your teeth, even though you hadn't spoken a word to him. "However, it still remains that I'm here now. I've prepared all of you an Irish lamb stew. Please enjoy!" And with that, you backed into the kitchen, as the waiters and waitresses brought out the food and drink. Heading out the entrance door and into the butlers lounge, you hoped they all would enjoy your meal. Sitting on the dark red sofa, you closed your eyes and smiled, opening them again and looking all around you. The room was small, only containing a few book shelves and a coffee table with some sofas, along with various tables with vases of flowers on top. You sat in the room for awhile, looking out the window straight a head of you. Green forest for miles is all you could see.
About twenty minutes had passed, and you decided to head back to the kitchen.

Hearing a knock upon the door to the dining room as you went inside, you got curious. Opening the door, a tall man faced you. Due to only being able to see to his jaw, you looked up. It was Mc'Cree. "Hey darlin'. I just wanted to pop in an' say that was a damn good stew." Blushing at his words and the thought of earlier, you smiled.

"T-Thank you!" You blurted out. Mc'Cree chuckled, opening the door.

"Most of the others have finished, so we'll be on our way." You nodded, and waited for him to leave.
Instead of putting the cleaners to work, you decided to let them have this night off and clean the dishes for them. Grabbing a large tray, you headed to the dining room to gather the cups and bowls. Looking at the table, there was only one man left, Junkrat. Out of all people, him? You thought to yourself.
Pushing yourself along, you started stacking the bowls onto the tray.

"Ay, sheila." Junkrat said. Looking over to him, you tilted your head. "This... Soup, whatever. It's good, I'll give you that." He smirked at you. Nodding your head at him, you thanked the man.
You finished gathering all the bowls except for Junkrat's. He noticed you finished, and slid his bowl all the way down to you. Surprised and unexpected, you didn't see the bowl coming towards you, and it landed onto the floor, smashing into pieces.

"Dammit!" You exclaimed. You'd have to stay a bit later than planned. Hearing him laugh, Junkrat started to leave.

"Have fun!" he yelled to you as he left.
What a dick, you thought.

***

After what seemed like forever of cleaning, you slumped into your room and on your bed. It wasn't much, a single bed, dresser, nightstand, small window and mirror. However, It was good enough for now. You thought about your day, and what had happened with Junkrat, Mc'Cree, and that good impression Tracer left on you. Closing your eyes, you thought to yourself.
My goal isn't to be some chef that cooks and cleans for heros; my goal is to truly be apart of the Overwatch.